Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

water in kfx 700 engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005 | 11:23 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default water in kfx 700 engine

Well this is my first post on here. I NEED HELP!. I flipped my kfx 700 today and fell backwards into creek. Me and my buddy got it back on its wheels and it quit running and wouldnt start. So i check the oil and it was all muddy in color. So i've never had this problem before on getting water in the engine. So i would really appreciate some help on all that i should do. ive already drained the oil but havent takin off the oil filter yet, which i need to do. plus i need to clean out the air box because theres sand and silt in it. IF one any could let me know on what else i should all do i would really appreciate it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-23-2005 | 11:29 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Dont forget to open the cvt cover and dry it out too. As for the engine remove the oil filter and replace it, refill it with oil, run it for a few minutes, then drain the oil. Keep changing the oil until the chocolate milk look is gone, then replace your filter and you're good to go.

Old 10-23-2005 | 11:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Well, here is what I would do.
Buy a 5er of diesel. Fill the engine up to the brim with it. Every once in a while I would shake it. I would not turn it over with the diesel in it, just shake it every now and then. After a few hours I would pull the drain and drain out a few ounces of whatever comes out. Repeat this several times until only diesel comes out.
Then drain it all out, change out the filter and fill it up with some cheap oil. Light it off and run for a bit. Drain it off until good clear oil comes out. Change to you favorite oil and your done.
If you got this much water in this thing you are going to have to purge the fuel system also. I would pull the carbs and do a complete cleanout. This is going to take some time.

Old 10-24-2005 | 12:08 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Doc's idea is a little more effort but a more thorough one too. Seeing as how this is a sport bike and therefore a higher tuned engine than what I'm used to pulling out of the water its probably a better route. But I used the method I stated in my old honda and my prairie with good results. The fuel system is a given from my standpoint, but I should have mentioned it.

Old 10-24-2005 | 12:23 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Well i guess ill try the diesel method since we have a diesel tank here cuz we farm. Question tho about that, when i put the diesel in should i leave the old oil filter on or what. Also Doc, i've grown up with 4wheelers all my life, but know diddly about pulling out carbs and cleaning them. So how should i know if they need some cleanin...i know i probably sound stupid about all this....and also do i need to drain the gas cuz it doenst look like theres crap in it...so im just curious

Old 10-24-2005 | 02:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

when i put the diesel in should i leave the old oil filter on or what.
I would pull the filter and drain it of any water and oil. Then put it back on to plug up the hole. Then do the diesel trick. The good thing about diesel is it's a good light oil that will force the water down into the sump where it can be drained out.

i know i probably sound stupid about all this
You don't at all. Believe me, I know stupid people and you don't sound like one at all!!!
About the carbs. You need to pull the air box and look inside the carbs. Do you see any silt or sand in or around the slide? If you do, it got by the filter and you are going to have to pull them and physically clean them. If not, your good to go.

About the tank. Pull it and drain it. Just a few drops of water will give you a bad day and you will say bad words. It's not too bad to pull and drain it.

Like Dog said, pull the clutch cover and do a clean-up on the clutch. Blow things off and clean things up.

Let us know how you made out.

Old 10-24-2005 | 02:13 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Well i took off the oil filter off this morning and it pretty much just look liked oil, it wasnt chocolate milky at all. So im guessin thats a positive. Plus i unscrewd the the plugs on the carberuters and it just a little bit of clear water came out. So ya, where do i drain the gas out at on the machine? Also, is it nessecary to change the spark plugs? The diesel seems to be workin, I flushed it out once with diesel and put more in again to work its magic.

Old 10-24-2005 | 10:47 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

well i got the cheap oil in it now and the air filter and box all cleaned up. So i tried starting it and it kept turning over like it wanted to take off but doesnt. So should i keep turning it over untill it takes off, or does the gas need changed. Anybody got some words of wisdom?

Old 10-24-2005 | 11:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Well i took off the oil filter off this morning and it pretty much just look liked oil, it wasnt chocolate milky at all.
That is WAAAAAAAAY good news. That means the oil circuit is not full of water.
The next thing I would do is take the air filter off and give it a good shot of ether. It will light and run but for how long is the question. You are going to have some water in the fuel hoses. This water is going to have to run throught the engine before it runs good.
Once it lights you will be in good shape. Be careful not to turn the starter for too long of a time. You will burn it up.
Sounds like you are getting there!!!!!

Old 10-25-2005 | 12:24 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Should i just shoot a little in each carb? The ether shouldnt hurt anything will it?

Quick Reply: water in kfx 700 engine