Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

help putting lights on my atv. confused?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default help putting lights on my atv. confused?

I want to put lights on the front of my prairie. I want to get some of the cheap lights you see at tractor supply or at like walmart. I need to know how to wire them up(step by step), run the wires, and how to hook everything up in detail. Please help. Help will be greatly appreciated[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-21-2005, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easy. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Heres how mine are done.

Lights are mounted to the front of the metal racks. 2 wires coming off of the lights, red and black.
THe black is grounded to the rack what is connected to the frame. I just took the black wire wrapped it around the mounting bolt for the light and tightened the bolt down. Theres your ground. You can just ground them to a bolt on the frame also.

The red wire will be your hot wire. Take the 2 wires from the lights to one common spot. Use a t-tap or butt crimp them together, then run a wire from the other side of the butt (huh huh huh he said butt) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] connector to a toggle switch. (on the butt connector one side will have 2 wires going in and the other side will have 1 wire coming out)

On the toggle switch, you will have 2 prongs, connect the red wire coming from the conjoined lights to one of the spades on the switch, I would use shieled female connectors, ok the other wire off of the switch goes back to the battery, I would connect a inline fuse between the switch and the battery. Like a 15 amp. I believe thats what is in mine. Get a fuse holder from Radio shack or your local auto store, get one that is sealed against the elements.

Use a ring terminal to connect the wire to the battery.

Use zip ties to secure any extra wire.

I would use 14 or 12 ga wire.

Just remember to turn the lights off or you will have a dead battery.

Also all connections you make like with the butt connectors use electrical tape wrap them up, if a wire came out it would short the link out.

As far as the toggle switch a general one will do. Like a 15 amp one. They sell them at the auto stores also.

Hope this helps.

Also if you are using the farm lights the ones that only have 1 wire coming off thats your hot lead the lights self grounds. I had one of these on my Jeep, the light mounted to the bumper and the bumped acted like a ground. These lights are prettybright.

ALso as far as the wattage I dont know what your atv will take. Search around inthe forums. I seem to remember that someone said they got a set of 55watt lights..

If in doubt ask the atv dealer. Then go buy the lights somewhere else! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Also if you buy your lights at walmart the package should have instructions in it.

Old 11-21-2005, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

Hey man, thanks allot. I think you just took that fuzzy area out of my head that stores the info on putting lights on my atv.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-23-2005, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider

No problem. Glad I could help.

Old 11-24-2005, 02:20 AM
Pro Rider

were can i get this butt connector or t-tap or whatever its called?

Old 11-24-2005, 06:37 AM
Trailblazer

Go to the nearest hardware store or you might be able to get them at you tractor supply store i hope that helps.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-24-2005, 10:07 AM
Pro Rider

if you get fog lights from walmart...it will come with all the wireing...just put some on my Eiger as reverse lights...hehe

Old 12-04-2005, 05:47 PM
Trailblazer

I found the headlights on my praire were great but needed more directional lighting for the woods so I installed a single headlamp on the handle bars. It turns with the bars and gives great directional lighting. As for your hot wire, rather than going directly to the battery go under your seat in the wiring and find the plug (inline fuse) that powers your accessories and splice into that keeping the fuse between the connection and the battery and your lights will go off with your ignition switch.. worked on mine.....

KenR