Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Brute 750 in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 11:59 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brute 750 in the snow

Well today here in Central Indiana we got dumped on with snow. Right now we are at about 8" and it is drifting pretty good. There is a couple of issues that I want to ask you guys about, this is the first time that I have ever had a 4WD quad in the snow. First of all, it performed awesome. I never dreamnt that it could go through the amount of snow that we (my brother and I with the same BF) went through. After riding for about an hour, we decided to look for the deep stuff. We found it, the snow was over our racks. After a few mins of drift busting, my brother seemed to experience what was the belt slipping, the RPM's where there, but the wheels werent turning. He experienced this a few times, and I myself experienced it once. Soon after, my brothers quad started to miss out. We checked the airbox and it was SLAMMED FULL of snow. We cleaned it out the best we could in the field, and I towed him home. When we got to his house we checked mine and I had quite a bit in mine, but now as much as him. It looked as if my "Twin Air" air filter held out more water and snow then did his OEM filter. I was hoping that you guys could help me with these issues. First of all, what do we do about the belt? Our machines have less than 20 hours on them so I know they arent streched. Secondly, what can I do about this snow issue in the air box, that definitely wont be the last time we are in it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks fellas,

Old 12-09-2005, 10:10 AM
sam
Pro Rider

I wounder if its possible to put a outerwear's over the air box opening? I just got dumped on from that same storm went plowing 5 am But I didn't check the air box. this seems to be a common prob.

Old 12-09-2005, 12:53 PM
Trailblazer

Take some nylon stocking material and put it over your snorkel... You can hold it on there with a rubberband(or 3) or one of those scrunchy things women wear to keep there hair up...

It works...

Old 12-09-2005, 01:07 PM
sam
Pro Rider

do we need to take the side panels off to get to the air box snorkel are or can we get to it w/ every thing in plase from underneath? Ive looked under the box and its kinda hard to see exactly where the air goes in. Ill take the lid off and go by the opening in the box.
thanks

Old 12-09-2005, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Kenskiv
Take some nylon stocking material and put it over your snorkel... You can hold it on there with a rubberband(or 3) or one of those scrunchy things women wear to keep there hair up...

It works...
Your wife's going to be madd when she gets home and all her stockings and scrunchy's are gone

Old 12-09-2005, 02:36 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: 4FITTY
Originally posted by: Kenskiv

It works...
Your wife's going to be madd when she gets home and all her stockings and scrunchy's are gone

Shhhhh!

I'm gonna take a couple more when I re-route the dryer vent inside the basement tonight...
I'm puting the vent through water and when it vents to the air i'll put the stocking over it to stop any excess dust...

PS I've been married for 15 years... and i'm really starting to see the benefits of time served...LOL

Old 12-09-2005, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider

i have seen some guys who arnt snorkled make small plastic pieces or cut up some mudflaps and zip tied them up under the front fender wells on the frame up near the airbox. its the tires throwing snow up towards the intake and the intake sucks it in. they just made some flaps to deflect the snow. they say it works pretty good.

Old 12-09-2005, 06:47 PM
Range Rover

Any ideas on the belt issue??

Old 12-10-2005, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mined did the same thing last winter. It suck the airbox full of snow and sucked some in the belt housing melted and then my belt started to slip, pulled the drain plug and it was full of water. I build some inner fenders to stop the snow from being thrown up into the airbox inlet.

Old 12-10-2005, 12:12 PM
rv
Pro Rider

i have a 650 will i have the same troubles as these guys in powdery snow

Quick Reply: Brute 750 in the snow