Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Bear Claw vs Mudlite

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006 | 01:39 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Bear Claw vs Mudlite

Just wondering everyone elses opinion on two sets of different tires. 26" bear claws or 26" mudlites, I have had the mudlites on my 2002 650 kawi, and now have a 2006 750i, and have put bear claws on because I felt the mudlites did not last, I only had about 1000 kms on them and they were looking bad. A buddy that I ride with has 6000 kms on his bear claws and still over 65% tread left. The only concern I have is the ride has, anyone found a loss of ride with the bearclaws. Don't get me wrong I needed to put some aftermarket tires on the 750 beast to harness the power it has. Just wondering what everyone elses experiences are with the two sets of tires.

Old 01-13-2006 | 03:01 PM
Range Rover

I had an 02' prairie 650 with 26" Bearclaws with 1200 miles on them and they were at least 3/4 thread yet! I just purchased an 06' 750 also and went with 26" mudlite XTR radials. I love the radials but I don't think I will get as many miles out of them as the Bearclaws. All the guys I ride with run the mudlites. If you want mileage and good traction I would get the claws. The mudlites have better traction, but I think you would need two sets to one of the Claws.

Old 02-01-2006 | 02:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had bear claws on my old 400 and they lasted over 8000 km and now I have mudlites on my 650 and they are junk....so is the bike.

Old 02-01-2006 | 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

I explored this same question a year or so back, I have now owned 2 pairs of Claws & have been very happy with them. Information I got was the mudlites sidewalls were sub par, I went straight back to the claws..

Old 02-01-2006 | 06:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have Mud lites on my 650 Prairie and think they are over rated. Sorry I dont have any suggestions but I will tell you that I am happy with the ITP's on my Banshee-Spider tracks rear and hole shots front, they have proven to be a much better ITP tire. Good luck

Old 02-01-2006 | 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

My dad has 26" Mud Lites on his Twin Peaks. He has around 600 miles on them, and they are wearing great. I put 25" Mud Lite LX's on my Bruin this past July, and they have also been wearing great.

Old 02-01-2006 | 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

I have 26 inch mud lights on my brute, and they are great. I do a lot of donuts and power brakes on tar, and have 600 miles on them. (about 150 tar) And have not evan lost the mud suction on the rears. The fronts look mint. I am impressed with how they ware and how they take the burnouts. They are pretty impressive in mud IMO. Plus they smoke real nice...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-02-2006 | 05:23 AM
Range Rover

I have been contemplating a bit about replacing my dunflops with either Mudlights or the Bear Claws. I am leaning towards the Bear Claws, I want a tire that has great grip and does not hurt my performance. I do hit a mud hole at times but with my SRA it does not make sense to me to get a serious mud tire cause the thing will still bottom out on the rutted out mud holes. If the mud hole is not rutted out, just having the old dunflops has done me fine in the past but now my rears are toast. They never really had good enough bite for the power my bike has. I have heard the Claw's do exactly that, claw and grip real nice. My fronts look dang good yet, would anyone foresee any problems if I just replaced the rears with stock size Bear Claws and kept my fronts? Or would the Bounty Hunters be more my style? Anyone ever try both the Bounty Hunter and the Bear Claw. Is there a big difference?

Old 02-02-2006 | 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Nutsy
I have been contemplating a bit about replacing my dunflops with either Mudlights or the Bear Claws. I am leaning towards the Bear Claws, I want a tire that has great grip and does not hurt my performance. I do hit a mud hole at times but with my SRA it does not make sense to me to get a serious mud tire cause the thing will still bottom out on the rutted out mud holes. If the mud hole is not rutted out, just having the old dunflops has done me fine in the past but now my rears are toast. They never really had good enough bite for the power my bike has. I have heard the Claw's do exactly that, claw and grip real nice. My fronts look dang good yet, would anyone foresee any problems if I just replaced the rears with stock size Bear Claws and kept my fronts? Or would the Bounty Hunters be more my style? Anyone ever try both the Bounty Hunter and the Bear Claw. Is there a big difference?
Go with the Mud Lite XL's! I have a 350 Bruin, and had the same problem. I had to find a tire that got me awsome grip, but wouldnt sacrifice performance. My dad had 26" Mud Lites on his Twin Peaks, and they did a heck of a job gripping in the mud, snow, or anything for that matter. When ITP came out with the 25" version of the Mud Lite XL, I knew that was the tire for me. It is stock size, so all you are doing is adding a little extra weight since they are the model with the deep lugs. They have made a 100% improvement in my ride. I can go places in 2wd, that I had trouble going in 4wd before. Plus being stock size, I did not give up any performance. You HARDLY and I mean HARDLY notice the extra weight. They are 100% worth it. The price aint bad either. $238 OTD for all 4 tires is not bad at all!

Old 02-02-2006 | 05:33 PM
Pro Rider

I've had 25" ML (put 1,000 miles on them) and now use 25" Bearclaws on a P650. The difference in traction is substantial when riding in muddy ruts and turning left/right to get out of the rut...with the MLs, I would just spin/have hard time climbing out of the ruts, but with the BCs the side lugs would immediately grab and pull me out of the ruts. I definitely like how much more wear I'm getting on my BCs as compared to the MLs.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Bear Claw vs Mudlite