Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

praire cutting out....

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 12:20 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default praire cutting out....

i have a 2003 grizzly and a 2002 prairie 300....my 300 keeps cutting out soemtimes, it has been doin this off and on for the last year,and i hav no clue why...?..i ahvent checked or cleaned the carb yet...but it is like when i ride for a while in low, and then stop and put it in high it cuts and and sputters alot, then it picks right up and runs fine..?...if u know wat it is, plz tell reply..!!!

Old 01-29-2006, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

Drain your fuel tank and clean it out with new fuel.

Clean carb.
clean air filter
replace fuel filter

the list goes on..........................good luck........................

handycap

Old 01-29-2006, 09:48 PM
Range Rover

thanks handycap.....i have a fuel filter, jsut havent really got around to puttin it on yet...and i have a new air filter on order at my local polaris store.....but i will drain the gas 2, and put new in it.....*...thanks for the reply...if any one else knows wat else it mite be!!....plz reply...

2003 grizzly*
2002 prairie 300*.....

Old 02-01-2006, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider

If you have a 2003 grizzly you have probably experienced some vapor lock problems after long rides and then sitting idol for a while. It's possible that you may have similar problems with your prairie. Check to see how close your exhaust is to your carb. You may need to add some type of heat shield to prevent so much radiant heat from getting to the carb during idol times. Read up on grizzly forums and you will find this is a very common problem for them and Yamaha is aggressivly trying to cure it.

I ride with several friends who after long rides have had this same problem. Some have modified exhausts witch can cause it and some do not but all have added heat shields and it has helped some of the vapor locking.

Hope this will help you, my wife rides a 2002 prairie 300 and we have not experienced the same problem. But, I do know that after long rides they do run very hot. there is no fan on the cooler and I have considered adding one.

Mud

Old 02-01-2006, 02:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm not sure if you've got the same problem but mine was cutting out aweful. I found a fuse (right by the battery) that wasn't making good contact due to a loose connection. My cutting out was probably more severe than yours but thought I would offer.

Old 02-01-2006, 08:48 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the help guys!!...both of u.....i will try the heat shield and, yes, i hate that theres no fan.....because mine gets hot 2 after long rides....it overheated on me one time, and man was i mad....but i will check and see how close the exhaust is to the carb.....by the way have had a problem wiht my exhaust head, rite were it goes in to the engine, it is lose and rattling...i havent rode it that much, but would that have anythang to do wiht the cutting out, ...i lost 1of the 2 bolts out were in goes in to the engine, and i put a new one on it, but it is lose again..?..plz reply back soon!!!!!!!!!.........and by the way , how fast have u ahd ur wifes 300 prairie madmuddin 1.....

2003* grizzly
2002 300 prairie*
full skid plates*
kn air filter.....

Old 02-02-2006, 04:36 AM
Pro Rider

I have also had issues once before with the exhaust nuts backing off. I replaced them and so far so good it's been about a year now. I don't think this would cause problems as discussed before just an annoyance. I do carry extra hardware with us when we ride though because I have been told this is a common problem not just on the 300's but on a lot's of bikes? I lost the hardware from my 360's front caliper once also. (not fun at top speed.)

I haven't done anything to hop up the wifes 300 but I will probably add a stouter clutch kit to it soon. She is not an aggresive rider and is fine with what she has. Top speed is just under 40mph. Read my other forums and you will see what I have come up with on the clutches for power excellaration.

Keep us posted hope it helps,

Mud

Old 02-03-2006, 07:43 PM
Range Rover

thanks for the help mudmaddin1, we went to the hatfield mccoy trail back last fall, it is AWESOME@!!!., it makes it better if u go slow and enjoy the sceanery......we rode the trail at williamson, it was really nice.....We rode all day, and went rite through a small town, and even passed a cop, and he just threw his hand up and waved, around here they would bust u so fast, it wouldnt be funny!!,,....but, i mean we seen more fourwheeliers on the rode, than cars....but, i hope you enjoy, keep us posted...!!!!

2003 grizzly*
kn air filter*
full skid plates*