Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Mojave Timing Chain

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2000, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been given a 1990 Mojave. The timing chain was off when I got it, but there is no damage to the valves. It was so loose that it just fell off during transport.

What do I line the timing marks on the cam gears up with? TIA

Old 11-10-2000, 10:26 AM
Range Rover

They have to be parallel with the machined edge of the head were the valve cover seals against. And the exhaust gear mark is forward and the intake gear mark is to the rear, at top dead center. If the chain is that loose you should be putting a new chain on. They are $70 from Kawasaki, no aftermarket. It's kind of common for the chains to stretch. It would help to have a manual. Good luck.

Old 11-10-2000, 07:27 PM
Trailblazer

I just put my chain on heres how
1.remove both of the big plastic screws on the left engin.
2.Put a wrench on the bolt that is were the biggest plastic screw was, while you turn that look in the other hole and look for a "T" mark a few centemeters to the left of that there is a little line "look hard for it" line it up with the noch in the hole that you are looking through.That means top dead center.
3.Now it gets hard.Get the timing sprocket that goes farthest to the front.See the hole in it make that face the front with half of the above the surface that the valv cover sits on
4.With the other sprockets hole face backwards and have it face up about 3 degrees.Mack shure it is still top dead center now your timing is set
5.Now it is time to agust the chain tensioner
6.Look on the back of the cylinder.On the left side of the cylinder there is a thing sticking out with three bolts.Take the top and the bottom one off.Pull the plastic thing out.Now remove the one in the one in the middle.Get a flat head screw driver and turn it clockwise while pressing the other end on the ground untill you cant turn the screw driver anymore keep the screw driver in and put the piece into the cylinder and put the two bolts in now take the screw driver out.If the chain feeles thigt you did it right
7now you are done.
very sorry about spelling