Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Prairie 360 hop-ups?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 08:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prairie 360 hop-ups?

Hello! Hoping for some help here from the more experienced from the community here.

I have a 2005 Prairie 360 4x4 and a 2002 Honda Recon 2x4. We took them out to some of the fire and logging roads yesterday to motor around. Nothing major as far as terrain is concerned, a few inclines, some snow, but overall, just some trail riding.

On the main roads, my buddy and I had both of the quads opened up full throttle - and the 250 was pulling away from me. Both quads are bone stock, and both were in 2wd. The Kawi has less than 15 hours on it, and just had its 10 hour service by the dealer (and that in itself is a whole other story).

Anyhow, wondering if anyone has some ideas on what it takes to make the 360 act more like a 360.
I am hoping that someone here has some advice on what hop-ups will make the bike a little more robust both on the top end as well as for other things like hill climbs and such.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-09-2006, 09:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Please don't take this the wrong way as I have a P360 and am very happy with it. I have not done any hop up type work, not even after market springs in the clutch system. Simple fact is the 360 is not a hot rod and from what I have read on this and other forums never will be. Some folks have made modest improvements in the top speed and how the power curve hits but the machine apparently does not lend itself to major improvements in speed or power.

That being said, do a search on this forum for postings by Oldmanmoses. He did a lot of stuff to a 360. You might also look at Nyrock's site. You should find what you need.

I would suspect you will find with cost of improvments and reliability issues you will be better off with a larger displacement machine.

Just my opinion and I could be dead wrong.

Old 04-09-2006, 10:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: tencubed
Please don't take this the wrong way as I have a P360 and am very happy with it. I have not done any hop up type work, not even after market springs in the clutch system. Simple fact is the 360 is not a hot rod and from what I have read on this and other forums never will be. Some folks have made modest improvements in the top speed and how the power curve hits but the machine apparently does not lend itself to major improvements in speed or power.

That being said, do a search on this forum for postings by Oldmanmoses. He did a lot of stuff to a 360. You might also look at Nyrock's site. You should find what you need.

I would suspect you will find with cost of improvments and reliability issues you will be better off with a larger displacement machine.

Just my opinion and I could be dead wrong.
Thanks for the reply!

I have no illusions that the 360 will never be a "hot rod" - I knew that going into my purchase. I guess I'm just looking to get a little more "pop" out of it, not necessarily something that'll do 70mph [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I am extremely happy with the 360, and opted towards a small bore vs. big bore unit.

That being said, I have done a number of searches on a few different sites, including this one, but haven't really been successful. Perhaps I'm not using the right search criteria. Thanks for the suggestions. I was just looking for a little insight from other who may have made any modifications to thier machines, whether it's to get more power, clearance, or whatever. I do agree with what you said about cost of improvements vs. reliability issues - something I hadn't really considered!

MF

Old 04-09-2006, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

i can give you about 6 lbs of torque and about 10 hp by porting .

Old 04-09-2006, 10:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

With all my mods my bike does better than stock but the P360 will never be fast. Its a good reliable atv with alot of torque but thats about it.

Old 04-09-2006, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya, i had the same thing happen to me with a recon being faster. I beat it in acceleration but the recons top end is faster. The 360 is better known for its great low end torqe than its top end.