Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

V-force cams for prairie 650; any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V-force cams for prairie 650; any thoughts?

Just wondering how many people have v-force cams in there priaries, and how they like them. I have been contemplating doing this for awhile, but wondered what everyone thought of them? What does it all involve to switch them over, or is it a simple swap? Please let me know what you guys think? Also, does anybody have any stockers they want to sell? Any thoughts and opinions are much appreciated.

Old 05-02-2006, 01:52 PM
Trailblazer

Dont know about v force cam.But did you find a big gain by retarding cams?

Old 05-02-2006, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider

Same cams are used on KFX700 and BF750/650 IRS models. I don't know how much gain or "loss" you might have - different duration and lift would result in different power band. But it would be a simple swap as far as the R&R goes since the heads are bascially all same. If I were you, I will just leave the cams alone and look into other mods.

Old 05-03-2006, 04:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about the 650 but my 700 prairie stage 1 hot cams have the exact same part number. I noticed a mid range and topend increase with the stage 1 hot cams. My quad seemed to pull harder from 40-45 to top speed wich is what I wanted.

Old 05-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Range Rover

Mizer,
A couple of mph on the top end, but not much else. Wouldn't recommend doing it, because it starts much harder now. Anybody else have anything to add? I was thinking that v-force cams don't have a 10 degree offset like the prairie cams do, which should make it start easier, and perform better. I sure would appreciate any thoughts on this one though. I am not looking to spend $300 on hot cams, but would be willing to do the work to switch out the stockers for v-force cams. I plan on replaceing the body in the not to distant future anyways, so it wouldn't be that much more work to do the cams if they are just a simple switch.

Old 05-06-2006, 01:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crankdog,
Been there, done that... I installed Stock V-force cams in my 2003 P650 about 2 years ago. I actually bought some used V-force cams for a great price from FST (I think I paid a total of $65 including shipping...but I had to trade in my stock P650 cams on the deal). Not sure what the used V-force cams go for these days.

Anyway, my results with the Stock V-force cams was not significant...it basically revved a little quicker and had slightly better throttle response/power in the mid range and upper rpms. However, I gained no additional top-speed...just got there a little bit faster is all. I did NOT notice it being any more difficult to start. In any case, I don't really recommend doing this Stock V-force mod unless you happen to get a set of used V-force cams (if nothing else, it was a very good learning experience for me and I was glad I did it)...However, this mod is definitely NOT worth the money IMO if you buy brand new V-force cams. The lift and duration is the same on the V-force and P650/P700 cams with the only difference being the P650/P700 cam timing is retarded 10 degrees to add a little more low-end grunt for stump pulling etc. I never noticed any loss of low end power with the V-force cams...it still pulls big wheelies from a dead stop (with the Dyna cdi installed that is).

***For details on this install of Stock V-force cams into a P650/P700, I HIGHLY recommend that you read the TECH TIPS article as written by DWB and posted in the Tech Tips - Prairie section on Nyroc's website.

FYI: With the confidence I gained in doing the V-force cam install, I later removed the Stock V-force cams and installed Hotcams (stage 1) along with Wiseco (11:1) pistons in the same motor (which I installed on my 2002 P650. I noticed a little more power with this set-up, but it was NOT what I'd call a dramatic gain over the Stock V-force cams set-up that I had before. If I were to do internal motor mods to my current TP700, I would definitely go with a BBK... anything less will just be a disappointment to me. But then again, you get what you pay for and the Hotcams/Wiseco set-up didn't exactly break the bank b/c I did all the work myself.

Good luck with your decision and happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-06-2006, 09:37 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks crankdog for info.Not impressed with wiseco 11.1 pistons. not much gain , will no better when pulling season starts. my best hop up has been air box mod @epi red spring