Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

'02 Prairie 400 Carb

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006 | 02:06 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default '02 Prairie 400 Carb

I was out riding in the Everglades last night when I realized my fuel tank was almost empty about 80 miles too soon. Stopped to take a look at what was going on and found fuel pouring out of the float bowl overflow. Apparently I've got either a stuck needle valve or a bad float. This morning I started to take the body panels off to get to the carb and realized that it was going to take half a day to do it. Maybe I'm not looking at this right. Is there another way to get to the carb without completely dismantling the whole damn bike? This is reeeaaaallllllly going to blow if that's the only way.

Old 05-28-2006 | 08:00 PM
Range Rover

Just happen to have my P400 factory service manual sitting here...

It says to pull the gas tank, throttle cable lower end and choke cable lower end, then the carb.

To pull the fuel tank...remove the seat, fuel tank cover (I have sold all me P300s and P400, but I remember this as being pretty easy)(put the gas cap back on after pulling the cover), take the fuel shutoff **** off (screw in end), pull the hoses and fuel tank bolts. You shouldn't have to pull the front fender, etc. If I remember right I think it's a little easier to get the carb off if you pull the air cleaner box off too.

All in all it shouldn't be too bad. If you need a new float bowl gasket and aren't in a hurry, I think I have several new ones that I'd mail one to you for about $2.00. I think they are $8 or so at the dealer.

I'm betting on a piece of crud is keeping the needle valve from seating. If there is, I'd take the petcock off while you have the gas tank off. I've seen a lot of Kawasakis where the petcock screens have fallen out of the petcock. Good time to rinse the gas tank out if there is crud anywhere.

Let me know if you need any other info. I always wanted to find another P400 4X4, so have kept my service manuals. Hope that helps.

Old 05-28-2006 | 11:20 PM
|
Trailblazer

The P400 is a great quad. I am so happy that I got one before they discontinued the model. The screens are in place on the pickup tubes; I could see them clearly when I shined a light into the tank. I was thinking that's what would have to be done but when I removed the rear mounts for the fuel tank and tried to pull the tank off, it felt like it was still very securely fastened. That's when I began to think that I would have to disassemble the front as well, which if you have owned a P400, you know what a job that would be. I appreciate the info. I'll be in touch if I need the gaskets. I'm thinking the same thing as far as dirt stuck in the needle valve. Floats rarely, if ever, go bad and aside from the screens on the fuel pickup tubes, there is no filter. There will be when I'm done, though. Thinking about adding a BF 750 to the stable although since I haven't heard entirely good things about the IRS, I might go with the Prairie 700 and stay with the solid rear axle. I love my Prairie and can't imagine the 700 being a mistake.

Old 05-29-2006 | 12:20 AM
Range Rover

If I remember right, there are two round "protrusions" in the front of the gas tank that are held by two large (1" ID?) rubber grommets in the frame. Once you pull the bolts out of the back of the tank, pull the tank rearward and it should come loose.

I had a P650 and loved the engine, but I had trouble with the KEBC actuator motor and arm. Ultimately I figured out that the resistance between the brushes and the armature had slightly more resistance than it should have (the motor still worked fine), which caused the KEBC module to park the KEBC motor in the wrong place, which put too much stress on the actuator arm, which grenaded inside the belt cover. Shrapenal bounced around and beat up the aluminum pulleys, which ate up the belt in about 10 miles, etc. What a pain. All things being the same, I'd rather just have a my old P400 back. Not quite as much power, but super reliable and a great ride. I think the P400 is one of the best in their price range at that time. It's like riding on a cloud compared to riding my buddies '99 Foreman 450.

The floatbowl on the P400 is a rubber o-ring type material. Hopefully yours still has enough give to seal properly.

Good luck!