Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Anyone using Rotella Synthetic from Walmart?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone using Rotella Synthetic from Walmart?

Here in Phoenix I have not come across a ready supply of Amsoil. Amsoil says their stuff is good I would like to give it a try someday. I would probably go with the 10-40 because of the better adhessision and more durable 10 weight base stock. The 0-40 would serve no purpose for me living here in the Southwestern US.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

Just got done filling up the Brute with the Amsoil 4 stroke in 10-40. I was using Mobil 1 MX4T, so I do not expect to see much, if any, improvements. I just went with Amsoil because in Wisconsin, for some reason, everyone carries it and I can get it without waiting for shipping like I did with the Mobil. Plus, it was about 1.25 cheaper per quart.

I did go with the Super Tech oil filter from Walmart after extensive research for ATV use. I have used them for 6 years on all of my vehicles and have never had a problem. At 2.06 per filter, I can now save some money over the 12 bucks the dealership charges for the Kawi filter. In fact, the Super Tech and the Kawi filter look pretty close when you look inside of them, and they seem to weigh the same. I am sure the Walmart bashers will give me heat, but this filter is a synthetic media and is dirt cheap!

I did use the rest of my Mobil 1 MX4T oil in the front diff. Man, the front diff is a pain in the **** to change. Luckily, I have one of those funnel deals that has a clear hose coming from it. Still, one must fill it very slowly or it will make a huge mess on the garage floor.

I installed the Moose module today that I bought from V2 Rider. It took about 30 seconds to install and I when I gunned it at idle, the handlebars about yanked out of my hands. Someday, I will go for the Copperhead, but I am having fun with this low end grunt. I can't wait to continue to smoke my father-in-law and his AC 500, and it should give me more of a jump on this cocky guy who has a new Kinquad I see out on the trail from time to time.

Bubba out!

Old 06-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Range Rover

Don't feel bad about using supertech, I use the filters and the synthetic oil in all my vehicles, never any problems.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:28 PM
Range Rover

FYI, The Kawi V-twins have no wet clutches, therefore automotive oils with friction modifiers will work if you want them to. Also, oil manufacturers only add "energy conserving" friction modifiers to 20 and 30w oils which are not the recommended weights anyway. Stay away from "energy conserving" oils if you don't want friction modifiers.

The biggest problem with most automotive oils is the shear strength, they were not designed for dual use in engines with gear driven transmissions. If you do decide to use regular oils in your ATV it is best to shorten your change intervals, because the transmission will break the oil down faster.

Rotella is not a true synthetic, meaning it is formulated using class III petroleum base stock that is refined to the point that it has nearly the same properties as a true synthetic. This is why it is sold for much less than Amsoil and Mobil. However, just because it is not a true synthetic doesn't mean it is not an excellent oil and a great value. If you look at the label you will notice it meets API SL standards along with being CI-4 plus. Not even most of the true synthetics meet CI-4 plus. This means that it is a superb oil with the stoutest additive package made for the most punishing conditions from diesel trucks to light passenger cars.