Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

New BF 750i 50 Mile Report

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 06:30 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New BF 750i 50 Mile Report

I really liked the post from the guy who did the 1100 mile report, so...

I had my quad out on Sunday June 11th at the ATV park in Waterloo Iowa. We rode for about 6 hours. Most of the riding was between 10 and 30 miles per hour. Lots of on and off the throttle through the trails amidst the trees. I'm running ITP Mudlites on the stock wheels at 7psi. Handling was very good. I wanted to raise the rear spring tension a tad but found it to be impossible with the cheapo stock tool and the rear tires installed. I adjusted them later at home with the rear of the quad jacked up off of the ground and the rear tires removed.

Problems-

Heat shield on the forward cylinder exhaust pipe had a mounting bolt rattle out and the heat shield fell against the engine and made a little racket as it bounced around. I replaced the bolt that was lost and added lock washers to both bolts on that heat shield.

Idle speed adjustment **** rattled out of it's mounting position. I'm not sure what is supposed to hold it in place. It will definately rattle out again if I don't secure it some how.

Engine pops and sputters a little at low engine speed. Give it a little throttle and that goes away. Seems more noticeable when the engine is not fully warmed up. Any ideas on this? Is it running lean? Is this an easy fix?

Likes-

Overall the bike has been a blast. We are planning a trip to the Upper Penisula in July. I want to get several more hours on the bike before then. Power is awesome and I never really even opened her up. Handling was good with the ITP tires. V-twin engine sounds good. Riding position for a tall rider is good (6'4"). All in all, awesome bike!

Old 06-13-2006, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

Congratulations on the BF750. The low speed stumble that occurs from about 8-12 mph is fairly common. I installed a Dynojet kit which has completely resolved that issue. I also installed the Copperhead VDI which allows you to adjust your timing and override a few safety switches. Rejetting is a bit of a pain on this quad, but it pays off.

Old 06-14-2006, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

congrats. i to love the brute. just a couple of suggestions, if i may: before you ride or after as long as its pretty clean, soak the shocks in wd40, doing this let me turn the preload adjusters on the shocks pretty easily(up or down) while the tires are on it and on the ground. the heat shield boltshave rattled loose on every brute i think. some loctite will solve alot of the loose fastener problems. also give a look see at all the joints(a-arm bolts and tierods/ends) periodically just to be safe. the stumble may or may not go away as she breaks in but yes it is worse when it is warming up. the 05's had the wrong needle installed in the front carb and was fixed under warranty. if yours is an 06 this should not the case but you never know. the idle speed adjuster thing is new to me. and, i'm not sure how you ride or your terrain but i like my ride a little softer so i run about 3-4 psi in my mudlites but to each his own. good luck, enjoy the ride and hold on!!!!

Old 06-14-2006, 01:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have about 55 miles on my BF 750. The big mystery is we rode around 50 miles Saturday going between 15 and 30 mph and I still have 5/8 of a tank of gas. I suspect I have bad gauge. It does not idle well and backfires when you lay off the gas. I really like the machine on the straights, alittle stiff and bulky in the tight stuff compared to my 03 Grizzly.

UTEATV

Old 06-14-2006, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider

nah, i think its probably right. i did about 30-40 miles of slow rocky trails one day and it showed about 1/2-5/8. the next day we did about 20 miles and i was flashing all day and it ran for another week or so creeping around the yard and idling. you will be surprised how fast it drops once you get to half a tank, seems to disappear.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:36 PM
Trailblazer

What all is involved in rejetting the carbs? I am mechanically inclined, but I have never messed with carbs. Is there a good set of instructions with the kit? Any special tools involved? What is the cost of this rejetting kit.? Have a link?
Also, what do you think of the Copperhead VDI? Easy install? Cost? Link?

Thanks for the advice!!

Old 06-15-2006, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

The VDI is a 5 minute swap under you seat no tools needed. The Dynojet kits sell for around 50.00 delivered to your door via e-bay. The instructions are good enough, there is just a lot of stuff to remove before you get down to the carbs. A power screwdriver is real nice because you need to take off both side panels, battery, air box. Once you're into the carbs you'll be taking off both top and bottom ends. You replace your needle, drill a hole in the slide and then rejet. It's really not that hard. I have been through it 4 times now just tinkering for elevation changes. The first go around it was about a 4 hour job, now I can Get-R-Done in a little over an hour. The VDI is in the 350.00 dollar range delivered, but this thing works magic.

My quad had that little stumble but now it just rips. When you install the VDI you get a more efficient spark which allows you to turn down your air/fuel mixture. From the factory mine was about 2.25 turns out, right now I am at 1.25 and could go leaner if I want. This helps a little with the gas mileage.