Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

05 p360 top end performance

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 12:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 p360 top end performance

I just picked up a pair of kawasaki's. Mine is a 2005 p360 4x4,hers is a 2000 p300 4x2.My 360 is great as far as low end and midrange,but at 40mph it just flattens out and I have a hard time hitting 45 downhill.The 300 embarasses the 360.The only thing I really noticed was it sputters some on decel,otherwise never skips a beat.Is that all these things are capable of?Or could something be wrong?Oh yeah,checked the belt it is ok.Any input would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

no mods yet
just a speedo

Old 07-09-2006, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, the P360 is widely reported to be lame on the top-end. I've seen several posts from folks who couldn't even do 40mph on their P360 (on level ground).

If you want more power/speed, you need to chat with OleManMoses...he's done pretty much every trick in the book to his P360 (its probably still pretty lame on the top-end tho as compared to other 4x4 quads). If anyone can help you, its him. I'm not sure if he ever posts here anymore. I believe he still posts on Nyroc's site every now and again. You might try to reach him there.

Good luck and happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-09-2006, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider

dont bother, nothing much you can do for it... I have done several things to mine with not much luck, best mod for the 360 is the black secondary spring.. You might see some improvement if you buy a jet kit & pipe it, heard it helps some, but probably not worth the $$$ in my opinion

Old 07-09-2006, 02:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Yup, if you wanted speed you bought the wrong quad. My P360 on a good day will do maybe 47 on a long slow downhill. Level ground around 40 with the rear box full of stuff. Where it really shines is working around the farm and low speed traveling. Knew this when I bought the machine and am very happy with it. Use it a lot for pulling trailers, moving cattle and pulling the brush beater.

Old 07-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for all the input,Is the black secondary spring going to give the 360 more acceleration?
Is that a kawasaki part or aftermarket?I am new to atv mods but I can see we definately need some.Thanks again-

Old 07-09-2006, 10:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

I have never done any mods to the springs or, for that matter, any of the drive train. I understand you can get springs of various colors from several different sources. Nyrock's site would be a good place to start some research I would think.

For the small gains that have been reported it would appear that the 360 is quite expensive to get much more speed from. If I recall correctly Old Man Moses gained about 12 to 15 MPH top end after extensive mods. He did, however, get quite a bit more acceleration. You could do a search for what he has posted on this forum as he gave quite detailed reports on a few threads.

Good luck.

Old 07-09-2006, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FirstKaw,
Go to Nyroc's website and check out the tech tips section for Prairie...you'll find a TON of good info and pics for Prairie mods, maintenance, etc. Go to atv.dnsalias.com (there is NO www in this web address)

Good luck and happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-04-2006, 02:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

I bought a 06 praire 360 and loosened the brakes just a notch or two and I get better excel and speed I get about 45 on flat. the brake adjusters are on the back

Old 08-04-2006, 07:31 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: firstkaw
I just picked up a pair of kawasaki's. Mine is a 2005 p360 4x4,hers is a 2000 p300 4x2.My 360 is great as far as low end and midrange,but at 40mph it just flattens out and I have a hard time hitting 45 downhill.The 300 embarasses the 360.The only thing I really noticed was it sputters some on decel,otherwise never skips a beat.Is that all these things are capable of?Or could something be wrong?Oh yeah,checked the belt it is ok.Any input would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

no mods yet
just a speedo
If you start to get any kind of sputtering, stalling, or any other engine malady on your 360, check the valve clearance.
The exhaust valve will wear tight and need adjusting.

Old 08-04-2006, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

THE OLDMAN LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
See how legends are made??? 12 to 15mph top end gain???? Aint happenin with the 360. I never did any engine mods other than a Penland advance key, which I know works because I took it out one time and noticed a big difference --it is now back in!! Dont play with the airbox or the stock exhaust--our low compression engines need the restriction from the stock exhaust to work correctly--and our carbs have a vacuum operated needle that does not work correctly with any airbox mods. I would suggest the dyna jet needle kit as the only easy improvement. I definitely improved my low end but never was able to achieve any top end performance. My clutch went bad and I relpaced it with a comet clutch. The spring they recommended sucked (too high a stall)so i replaced it with a comet 0 stall spring. Since putting on the comet, it seems like I have almost changed gear ratios?? low end is good, but top end is worse. the clutch weights that comet recommended are very heavy--it seems like i am not getting enough rpm at full throttle. my plans are to remove the weights and either drill holes in them or grind alot of metal off of them to lighten them up--which shouldnt effect my low end but should really give me some rpm's at full throttle--it doesnt seem like the 360 engine is being allowed to rev enough (although low compression engines are not made to rev alot. by the way--the black secondary spring does give you a bit more down low and must be good for the belt, i still have the stock belt at 3500 miles. RIDE SLOW AND LIVE LONG!!!! lol

Quick Reply: 05 p360 top end performance