Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

BF 650i

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 03:28 PM
GOA
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BF 650i

Well, I finally had a chance to put in some time on the BF 650i. Wow what a fun machine. I think I made the right choice.
The highlights. The BF 650 isn't the best at cornering but it's pretty decent. It's definately a lot easier than the 05 BF 750. The steering is also a lot lighter than the original BF 750i (I've heard the new 750i has the same caster changes and steers the same as the 650i). The acceleration off the line was fantastic. The only complaint is the overly aggressive engine braking. When you're going down a large hill the engine braking can actually make you slide down. I had to add a little gas to keep it rolling rather than sliding.
This quad put a big smile on my face all day. You could even see the smile through all the dirt.

I had the chance to try out the Outlander 800 EFI as well. This one was the two up model. The engine on that quad is amazing. From the start it didn't feel any different than my 650i but once it got going the engine just took off. Very nice power. Definately faster than my 650i. However the two up is too large and corners like an RV. The single model would no doubt not have this problem. Another highlight of the Outlander was the very comfortable seat.

What I didn't like about the Outlander: In the initial acceleration the quad didn't feel any better than my 650i (which is very good). It wasn't until you started going that the engine kicked in. This is usually the time when you would have to slow down on a trail. Of course this quad makes you want to speed up, as the engine feels like it gains a lot more power. This sort of made me feel like I was being robbed of the quads potential at the start, or there is poor rpm/gear management. I could easily live with that and the engine does go like hell, but it's a rough point in design. The other issues I had with the 800 Oultander, were the looks. This included everything from the dials to the overall quad. The dials looked cheap, and the overall fit/finish looked like a plastic toy. When you compared this to the Kawasaki, Honda, Yamahas and the Suzuki quads it became apparent that the Outlander wasn't up to par. I don't know if it's just hype but the frame on the Outlanders has been said to have issues. This could be BS/propaganda by brand fans. However looking at how Can AM saved money with the Outlander 800 on the fit and finish of the quad, it could be a possibility that they put in a frame thats too light and not strong enough for an ATV with that type of power. A fun quad, but not perfect and exceptionally expensive.

Back to the BF 650i. Acceleration was excellent. Keeping the nose down required leaning forward. That wasn't even with full acceration. The powerband felt appropriate for the power of this quad. The brakes were good and the engine braking worked well for slowing down before corners and trail riding (except for going down big hills). The cornering is decent for a big quad but yes it could use better tires. The quad was easily the best looking one out there, and the fit/finish is exceptional. The instruments were great but you don't look at them very often as you're going too fast. In 4x4 mode this quad will pop over obstacles with ease. The throttle felt smoother in the 650i than the 05 750i. But this is based only on memory. I could be wrong on that.

Overall lots of fun.
2007 BF 650i Silver. Stock everything.

Old 08-16-2006, 01:17 AM
TTP
Range Rover
Default BF 650i

Sounds great!

Congrats on the 650i

Old 08-16-2006, 01:52 AM
Range Rover
Default BF 650i

word. id like to throw me a leg over one them there bommie 8 hunnerds, i wont lie. Lol, nice detaild post, i was wondering how it was possible the bomb could feel any stronger out of the hole than my 650i, considering the wheelie problem that can actually be frustrating, ( Almost cost me a short drag against 660 grizzly lol.)I figured it came on real strong midrange. That's ok though, im just anxious to see what kawi does with the Brutes in terms of a 800. Gl -joe

Old 08-16-2006, 08:53 AM
Trailblazer
Default BF 650i

GOA,
Nice overview on the 650i. The more and more posts and reviews I read the closer I am to trading in my '05 BF 750 for a new 650i! I have been in several sitsuations with my 750 where I'm the only one in the group who has trouble manuevering around small tight trails, trees, obstacles, etc. Of course everyone else is riding 300-400cc quads and they can't touch me outside the tight turns. Plus, the 650i only has 2-3hp difference from the 750!

Old 08-16-2006, 03:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default BF 650i

You will still have the same problems in the tight trails with the 650i. The 750 is not any wider than the 650. I have a 650 sra and that is my only complaint with the big kawi's. They are huge compared to everything else except maybe the POPO's and bombs.
Dave

Old 08-18-2006, 12:32 AM
Range Rover
Default BF 650i

I recommend getting the 650i. It is made to handle better and accellerate quicker, bullet whole gearing, ignition, bla bla [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I was told the 750 had more midrange and topend, but as of my riding experience, that aint true, 650i's are probably only behind the bomb 650 and 800 in terms of dragging, and handle well. Which my buddies 07 camo 750 brute has improved handling and is nice -joe

Old 08-18-2006, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default BF 650i

Originally posted by: demerick
GOA,
Nice overview on the 650i. The more and more posts and reviews I read the closer I am to trading in my '05 BF 750 for a new 650i! Plus, the 650i only has 2-3hp difference from the 750!
I hear that. I'm thinking of trading my '05 BF650SRA for a 650i. They come in black for '07 - LOOKS HOT !!

Old 08-18-2006, 06:25 PM
GOA
Weekend Warrior
Default BF 650i

If you have an 05 750 I would hold out until the next big improvement.
The BF 650i is great and does fix the rough points with the original 750 but... it's an incremental improvement. In a year or two, the next major jump will probably happen.

Black looks great but... it's very hard to keep clean and scratches show up really easily. Even at the dealership they were keeping the black ones under a cover until they were put out on the show floor. So far the silver ones still look clean even with some dirt/dust on them. The camo ones also seem to hide scratches and dirt well.