Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Ideas please!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 02:22 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas please!!

Need help with air intake problem (mud/water). I really don't want to snorkel. I've heard of air box mod, but can't find it anywhere. Also heard of tire tube being put around intake. If anyone has ideas or done anything like this, please let me know.

Thanks

Old 10-01-2006, 06:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Ideas please!!

Yes---PLEASE! I had that problem just today--about ready to light it and roast marshmellows over the thing!!!!!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Also-will dirt pass through the filter element and damage the engine-after my episode today should I be worried about engine failure? The bike is under warranty---for now.

Old 10-01-2006, 06:48 PM
Range Rover
Default Ideas please!!

Get rid of the Kawi stock filter. A bus could pass through the thing. If you ever run in dusty conditions you will end up doing a top end rebuild. Kawi will not warrinty worn valves. They claim it is from dirt which is an owner problem not a cheap Kawi air filter problem. My advise is to get a Twin Air air filter and cage. About $200.00 but well worth the money. Although it more then likely won't eliminate the oil consumption issue that it seems like every BF ends up with sooner our later. My next purchase even though this is the funnest ride I have owned, will not be another Kawi product. Kawi needs to step up to the plate over the air filter, air box design and oil consumption issues and do not seem to care. 60 hrs since top end rebuild and the stinking thing is starting to use oil again.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Ideas please!!

Is the $200+ kit necessary or will the filter alone do the trick-I am not looking for performance advantages. Also what mods can be made to keep water out of the air box--you cant raise the inlet much higher without a full blown snorkel
What should I do?

Old 10-01-2006, 11:25 PM
Trailblazer
Default Ideas please!!

dan7851, just a little heads up on the dirt passing through. I just got mine fixed from dirt and water getting thorugh my carbs on my 07 Brute. Pistons, rings, and so on. Finally got the dealer to take care of it. Thank God. I was only in mud/water up to the center of wheels when this happened. Big problems. So, yes it can very easliy, unfortunately. Kawasaki will not warranty mud, dirt, or water either. Just like arkyrider stated, Kawie hasn't admitted to the crappy (putting it lightly) job that they did on the intake. I just ordered the twin air filter last week. I was going to get the whole kit, but not sure if its worth $200. Some people have put tubes from tires around the intake and claimed that it helped. I'm going to try and use some flex hose on my intake and mount it up by my handle bars. Because like you, I don't want to snorkel my machine. I guess we'll see!!

Old 10-11-2006, 11:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Ideas please!!

Yes,, worry about it, Mine is also under warinty and Kaw. would not pay,, I am looking for way to not spend $950.00 again

Old 10-11-2006, 11:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Ideas please!!

where do i get twin filter system?

Old 10-12-2006, 09:11 AM
Range Rover
Default Ideas please!!

I would suggest getting the complete kit. The Twinair cage will give a better seal then the OEM cage will ever give. Also you can remove the backfire plate when you use the twinair filter. The plastic cage may not hold up to the heat. $200.00 sounds like a lot, bur in reallity it is pretty cheap compared to the $$$$$s you may end up spending on top end rebuilds.

Go to the following addy for info and ordering.
http://www.twinair.com/

Old 11-04-2006, 09:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Ideas please!!

I would be worried about piston scuffing and cylinder scrach (witch will lead to oil consumption and compresion loss)