Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

bf650 front differential

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 09:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bf650 front differential

Hello all just joined the forum but have made many visits. Anyway was hopeful someone maybe able to give me some advice, front diff on 05 bf650 will not disengage. shop says pins in front diff broke, my question is if there is no other visible damage will replacing pins solve my problems. Because I know very little about repairs I'm a little worried the shop may try to add extra unnecesary parts ect. Thanks

Old 10-31-2006, 03:49 AM
Trailblazer

I had to rebuild the front diff on my 05 bf 650 this summer and I just replaced what was broken inside along with a new gasket and a new large o-ring to make sure the diff stayed sealed. If you broke the small pins for the spider gear shaft and didn't do any other damage you got very lucky. The pins broke in mine and took out 3 of the 4 spider gears, the spider gear shaft, and the spider gear case ( $450.00 in parts). The only other thing I would think they would need is possibly shims $4-5 each. Did they give you an idea what the cost would be? I did mine myself because I was told by the dealer it would be $1200-$1600 for the rebuild. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 10-31-2006, 12:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just got quote this morning 480.00 this will include replacing casing,pins, cleaning carb and labor. I can live with that just didn't want 1200 or so since I only paid 2800 for the bike. The repair guy said shifting from 2wd to 4wd without stoping was probably the cause don't remember doing that. Heard nosie while front and back right side of bike was in ditch used front diff to get out. Only other thing I did was rock it like I always do never had a problem. My bf only has 400 miles on it, you have any ideal what may have caused the damage? Again thaks for your info.

Old 10-31-2006, 05:09 PM
Trailblazer

I broke mine by switching into 4wd after I was stuck, I was going through a field and got high centered on a rut and tried to put it into 4wd and it popped. Make sure you dont try to engage 4wd after you are stuck unless it absolutely necessary. Most kawi 4x4s wont shift into 4x4 until the quad moves a little, with mine at a dead stop if I switch to 4x4 nothing happens until I roll about 2ft. I have read other posts where guys have to roll 3 or 4 feet to get into 4wd. When all four tires are on the ground it shifts nice and smooth when you roll forward but when the front wheels have no traction there is a lot of slop in the differential and when you try to give it gas to spin the tires to engage 4wd it pops into 4wd. I heard the pop but it went into 4wd and I rode out went about 20ft and it started grinding. If you have to go into 4wd after your stuck drag the brakes a little when you slowly spin the tires and it cuts down on the backlash. Any diff failures I read about trying to fix mine were either what happened to me, jumping in 4wd or contaminated diff fluid. There is only a little bit of oil in the diff and a bad axle seal or something is all it takes. Check the fluid often. If you search around you should be able to find some other posts on the 4wd slop issue.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info good ideal about holding the brake if you're already stuck. My bike should be ready next week or that's what the repair guy said.

Old 10-31-2006, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

Kawi needs to work on that 2 to 4wd engagement, I like the instant engagement on my Griz, I remeber having to be very careful when getting stuck on my Prairie and trying to get her into 4wd.Kawi could do that and still keep thier progressive diff. locking lever deal , I like that.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:33 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: MRM650
I broke mine by switching into 4wd after I was stuck, I was going through a field and got high centered on a rut and tried to put it into 4wd and it popped. Make sure you dont try to engage 4wd after you are stuck unless it absolutely necessary. Most kawi 4x4s wont shift into 4x4 until the quad moves a little, with mine at a dead stop if I switch to 4x4 nothing happens until I roll about 2ft. I have read other posts where guys have to roll 3 or 4 feet to get into 4wd. When all four tires are on the ground it shifts nice and smooth when you roll forward but when the front wheels have no traction there is a lot of slop in the differential and when you try to give it gas to spin the tires to engage 4wd it pops into 4wd. I heard the pop but it went into 4wd and I rode out went about 20ft and it started grinding. If you have to go into 4wd after your stuck drag the brakes a little when you slowly spin the tires and it cuts down on the backlash. Any diff failures I read about trying to fix mine were either what happened to me, jumping in 4wd or contaminated diff fluid. There is only a little bit of oil in the diff and a bad axle seal or something is all it takes. Check the fluid often. If you search around you should be able to find some other posts on the 4wd slop issue.
This is good advice indeed. I'm always careful about engaging 2wd to 4wd. On mine, it's usually hit or miss as to when it will switch from 2wd to 4wd. Sometimes I can do it from a dead stop but usually I have to roll very slowly for about 3 or 4 feet as MRM650 pointed out. As a precaution, if I feel that I'm approaching terrain that might possibly require 4wd, then I'll engage 4wd sooner so I don't have to do it while I'm stuck. But I'm not perfect and I too get hung up every now and then while in 2wd and it's a bit nerve wracking when you have to switch to 4wd while stuck.