Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

What's better:2001 Praire 400 or 2001 Yamaha Kodiak??

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2000, 09:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just looking for input on which of these two machines would be preferred? The main issues are dependability, durability, comfort & ride quality, and also power. I do not want something that breaks down all the time. Both are said to be great machines, but the Kodiak won "ATV of the Year" for 2000. Also, it has push button in and out 4-wheel drive, which I like. Also, I'd like to run 27" Blackwaters. Which machine would turn these tires more efficiently without causing premature wear and tear to the belt. My local Yamaha dealer claims the belt on the Kodiak is made of Kevlar, and that you could suspend a truck from a tree without breaking it. Sounds like b.s. to me! What about the front and rear disc brakes on the Kodiak? How would these hold up in the mud?

Old 12-10-2000, 02:10 AM
Range Rover

I looked alot at the Prairie 400 befor i got my quads. I really liked the looks of the Prairies and they are very comfortable. But the Kodiak offers some features that the Kawi cant match. You get 2wd 4wd selectability, Rear disc brakes and it weighs less. But the biggest feature of the Kodiak is the EBS. The Prairie is a great quad but the Kodiak is even better. Ultimatly though you cant go wrong with ither.

Old 12-10-2000, 06:51 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with the above. I love Kawasaki's but had to trade my 300 Bayou in on the Y2K Kodiak. The rear drum maintenance and full time 4X4 got old. However I cannot wait to get my hands on the 650!
I have also owned:
The first model year 750 triple.
The first year model 900.
The first year model 1000.
Riding a Yamaha but still a Kawasaki man at heart. They NEVER broke down on me.

Old 12-10-2000, 02:07 PM
Trailblazer

Well, I've decided to go with the Kodiak. It just has to many features the Prairie can't match. I just hope it will hold up in the long run. I've heard some reliability issues concerning the Kodiak. Things like the water pump going out, brakes pads wearing prematurely, and even something abut the swingarm welds cracking. These may just be isolated incidences, but it does make you wonder. Still, the Kodiak has so many nice features!

Old 12-10-2000, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

My brakes are still looking good after 100+ hours. But some have had the rears go away fast. Keep them clean after you ride.
Never heard of the Cracked Arm. Some have rubbed a hole in the boot but not me. I crawl over lots of dead falls. There is a Yamaha skid plate option for it.
I believe the Water pump problems were in early 2K production runs. There a ton of these things on all Mfg.'s and the technology is not new. Must have been a new trainee on the line.
Things to check.
Get some wrenches and check every fastener possible for tightness. I would do this on any MFG. quad.
Look at your belt housing intake and exhaust cooling ducts. They have some hose clamp junction fasteners. Make sure they are snug. But don't over do it, you can strip them out. Some have shipped loose and let water in. I have made some hairy water crossings with no problems.
If you are hauling butt and brake hard and hear some clicking from under the motor worry not. It is the one way sprag clutch system adjusting to your speed. You will learn how to use this feature to adjust your engine braking speed.
Most everyone I know with one has the rear shock at the softest setting. My fronts are in the middle. If your fronts are set too soft the outside front fender will dive if you are cornering hard and not flicking the rear around.
When you become one with the machine you will love how you can flick around on the trails in 2 wheel drive.
Be careful! The machine will build your confidence. Use your head. The stock tires SUCK on some tricky loose steep slow uphills. They DONT dig in very well.