Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

2003 360 4x4 Prairie KEBC Stopping ATV and Stalling Engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 05:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 360 4x4 Prairie KEBC Stopping ATV and Stalling Engine

While riding last night it felt like the KEBC started to engage all the way to a stop and then would stall out the engine. would start back up and run fine for about 30 yards and do the same thing again. After a few times of stopping/stalling on its own the engine became hard to start. Emergency brake is not on. There has been a little squeal coming from the drive belt cover the last couple of days but it did not seem that bad. Anyone heard of this? I have not had time to check out KEBC solonoid. Thanks

Old 11-21-2006, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

Don't know enough, but not to sound stupid, Did colding of weather require you to adjust idle (don't know where in TX you are)?

I do know that I developed a fouling of the plug issue with a required belt adjustment and trip to dealer.

Fouling off plug and belt light bliinking away, It wouldnt run. It would sput and spudder similiar to how it is backing up without the button pushed in...I asked them before I took it up if it was related to belt issue and they told me know. Only to tell me direct opposite after I spent $55.00 for a "Belt Adjustment".

Doesnt help you for your issue, but just some more insight....

Old 11-21-2006, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, this probally isnt the problem but may be to a point, have you had your valves adjusted lately. Miss adjusted valves will cause the motor to die easy

Back to the topic, do you really need that little engine brake actuator. I sure didnt, mine did the same thing as yours by staying engaged and causing the atv to stall when coming to a stop or creep a little. To see if this is your problem , take off your belt cover. Inside sould be a spring that closes to the primary cluth. ON the very bottom of the spring(atached to the cover) there is a small circlip. Take off the circlip and take the spring and stuff out. What you are taking out is the actuator fork. Allot of people do this mod right away or do it when the actuator finally goes our like mine. See if this works for ya.

Old 11-22-2006, 09:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Took clutch cover off last night did not see anything wrong. Started up with cover off clutch was making a small squealing noise. Put some penetrating oil on clutch and shaft and noise went away and clutch actually started move more freely on shaft than before. It was sticking in some spots while revving up engine before I put some penatrating oil on it. Bearing seemed to be good when on the KEBC forks. I put everything back together and reset lights and everything worked fine. I have already adjusted valves and fixed the stalling hard to start problems I had last year. i don't think the outside temp has anything to do with it, it wasn't that cold. It was a lot colder at the deer lease a week ago and no problems. I ran it for a little while last night with no problems. I going to remove the kebc tonight and run it like that for a while. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-29-2006, 03:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Exhaust valves tightened on you. Do you have to choke it and hit the starter for a while to get it started even after it is warm. As for the KEBC not sure. Loosen the exhaust valve and be able to enjoy riding again. I rejetted changed exhausts, readjusted my idle... then went thru the manual and exhaust valve it was. After the first time it is way easy, and you should check it again if it starts running crappie again. My 360 starts with MAYBE a quarter choke on the coldest days. When I bought it I had to choke the hell out of it to start so it more than likely was a little tight from the factory. Adjust to the loosest (I believe .21) been a year so not sure on the #. But save yourself a lot of time & check it.