Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

13-yr old Boy Killed...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 13-yr old Boy Killed...

13-year-old boy is killed in dirt bike accident
From Times Staff and Wire Reports
February 13, 2007

A 13-year-old boy was killed when the dirt bike he was riding hit a gate in the hills north of Simi Valley, authorities said.

Jake Lukas of Simi Valley was unable to stop his motorcycle Sunday before it ran into the cable-type gate across a dirt road on private property north of Walnut Street, officers said. Jake, a student at Valley View Middle School, had blunt-force injuries to his neck and was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

Simi Valley is about an hour north of Los Angeles, Ca.

I wonder if the property owner put up the cable-type gate "intentionally" to deter OHV riders. Why not just a knee-high steel beam type gate or something else that can be seen easily from distance? Watch out folks...

Old 02-13-2007, 05:53 PM
Trailblazer

This is a tragedy but I know a lot of places around me use the cable gates especially when you get out farther in the country. A lot of hunt clubs and private residences use them as it is easy to unfasten one side let it drop and your in.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

pretty sure all cables like that must be marked with a flag or somthing.......that sucks

Old 02-14-2007, 03:30 AM
Pro Rider

A. Cable is a much less expensive than building a gate that you would find acceptable.

B. I don't see any of those trespassing on my land donating to the "buy captain quint better gates fund". On the contrary I see them causing damage and cutting fences and damaging the gates and fencing I do have.

C. Property owners indeed put up gates to deter idiots who fail to understand to concept of private property. We also have to carry multi million dollar liability insurance policies in case some idiot is trespassing and runs into said gate and decapitates himself and his grieving family decides to hire larry H lawyer, pull the handle, and attempt the jackpot the legal system. I don't see anyone contributing to those premiums either.

I'm frankly sick and tired of the mentality that it is all well and good for people to trespass and ride all over private property and if someone gets killed doing so it's the land owners fault. You weren't suppose to be there. If you weren't riding were you shouldn't have been you wouldn't have been injured or killed. Too many times parents get their kid an ATV or dirt bike with no place to ride and turn them loose. They trespass and cause damage and make all ATVers look bad. They end up getting killed running into a gate and then it's the landowners fault because they were trespassing and couldn't see a gate. It's the parents who are fault. They bought the kid the ATV or dirtbike with no place to ride. They let them operate it unsupervised. They let them trespass. They have no body else to blame when they walk past that empty bedroom but themselves. They were the neglectful parents.

Frankly I'm sick to death of the blame game and the crocodile tears for criminals trespassing and getting hurt and blaming others for it.

Now this case may be something else entirely. This kid may have been on private property with permission and if so it is a tragedy and I do feel for his parents and family.

In the end remember, don't trespass and get permission before messing around on private property. That means contacting the owner directly. Not just "everyone rides there". Contact the owner and ask them if you may ride there. Don't know who owns it? Go to the county offices and locate a plat map and find out. Can't find the owner? Stay out.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Range Rover

You don't ranting now?

Old 02-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

"In the end remember, don't trespass and get permission before messing around on private property. That means contacting the owner directly. Not just "everyone rides there". Contact the owner and ask them if you may ride there. Don't know who owns it? Go to the county offices and locate a plat map and find out. Can't find the owner? Stay out. "

+1

Old 02-14-2007, 04:37 PM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree!! Anyone who trespasses deserves to die. Screw the cables used as gates, lets put out land mines and snipers. Lets dig some tank traps and have lions and tigers in them so when the bastard person who trespasses and crashes into said tank trap gets eaten if he survives the crash. Oh man this is great!! Kill all trespassers!!!!

Old 02-14-2007, 05:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: LTZ
I agree!! Anyone who trespasses deserves to die. Screw the cables used as gates, lets put out land mines and snipers. Lets dig some tank traps and have lions and tigers in them so when the bastard person who trespasses and crashes into said tank trap gets eaten if he survives the crash. Oh man this is great!! Kill all trespassers!!!!

Old 02-14-2007, 05:00 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

Trespassing is illegal, there are penalties for breaking the law, no-one should die for this offense. If someone has a problem with trespassers, they should use other means to get information, and prosecute the offenders. The death of that boy could have been prevented by a few pieces of orange safety tape for visability. Very sad.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:06 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Originally posted by: LTZ
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 13-yr old Boy Killed...