Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

break-in tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 11:10 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default break-in tips

Originally posted by: Doctorturbo
They also have CNC finishing machines that can get the bore down to .00001. Think you can get your little ball hone that close? Ha ha ha......I think not.
Um, no. That's wrong. There are no CNCs that will hold a tolerance to .00001.

None.
Zero.
Zip.
Nadda.

Just because the DRO may read to 5 decimal places does not mean it will hold that tolerance. I work with them every day. You'd have a hard time even even grinding to that tolerance.

That tolerance is completely un-usable in a motor application anyway, because of thermal expansion. You need looser tolerances, probably closer to .001 or bigger.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:06 AM
Trailblazer
Default break-in tips

Read up on r.c. cars. Their engines dont last near as long as an atv engine so it is easier to see the difference between break in methods. With the old run it hard method they dont last anywhere near as long.They recomend a break in procedure kinda like taking it easy and varying rpms for like the first tank. I dont remember the precise method but do a search and you will find it. That is proof enough for me.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default break-in tips

Ride it like you stole it, but want to keep it!

My brother and I both bought identical brand new quads. He broke his in as per the manufacturer's instructions. It always ran fine and he had no problems, but, it never performed as well as mine. I didn't abuse mine, but i did work it right from the start.
Roll into the throttle rather than stab it, but rev er all the way out. Vary your speeds and RPM the way you would trying to race a tight trail, but , do it smooth not choppy. My quad revs freer and shifts smoother than his

Old 04-20-2007, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default break-in tips

Heres a good Link

Old 04-21-2007, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default break-in tips

bang it like a screen door and dont call it back in the moring...

Old 04-22-2007, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider
Default break-in tips

[quote]
jamakn

bang it like a screen door and dont call it back in the moring...

LOL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-22-2007, 01:53 AM
Trailblazer
Default break-in tips

Ok you guys ride it like you want but when i spend my hard earned money on something I want to keep and last a long time I'll break it in right. If, like alot of you, I was just going to keep it a little while then get rid of it then who cares ride the hell out of it.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default break-in tips

Originally posted by: ozarkhunter
Ok you guys ride it like you want but when i spend my hard earned money on something I want to keep and last a long time I'll break it in right. If, like alot of you, I was just going to keep it a little while then get rid of it then who cares ride the hell out of it.

I used this method(ride it hard) on my 1993 fourtrax. It still runs like a top with over 10000 miles on it.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default break-in tips

Back to the break in question, I would use a little common sense and just don't over rev it or abuse it and let it cool off after twenty minutes of riding it for the first few hours. Not to say you shouldn't rev it up at all, but dont keep it revved up and hold it at very high RPM's for too lng.

Old 04-22-2007, 10:41 PM
Trailblazer
Default break-in tips

Thanks for all the responses. I pretty much rode like I would normally. I've put on about 3 hours on the Brute since I got it. Rode mainly lumpy bush sand trails. When the opportunity presented itself, I'd wind it out on straightaways. I like the power. I need a bit more practice with the wheelies though, ha ha. Can't seem to bring up the front end the way I'd like.

Quick Reply: break-in tips