Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

break-in tips

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 12:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default break-in tips

I just bought a new '07 Brute 650. Always bought used quads before this baby. (400cc Outlanders). I liked the Outlanders but couldn't justify spending 12 K for a 650. The recent sportsman show had a special on the 650 Brute for 8K. I bought it over the phone, sight unseen. I'm impressed so far. Never rode it yet though! What did you guys do for break-in? Drive it like you would normally or baby it for the few hours?

Old 03-25-2007, 04:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!
Default break-in tips

Lot of different opinions on this. Many experts will point you one way or the other about breaking in an engine. I am of the opinion that if you follow the manufacturers recommendations you will be protecting your warrantee and the advice they give should be good as they don't want engine failures.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default break-in tips

baby if for 1st few hours and then ride it like you stole it...I figure might as well break it in for hard use right away...LOL

Actually, those first hours are important so careful on heating her up to fast and over reving...be sure to do those first few severices on the proper schedule as well, as the brake cables and valves may need adjusting...

When I bought my Prairie in 05' I putted around the house for the first 5-8 hours on it. The first trial ride was two hours straight, but not a lot of hard reving...nice sunday cruise...this seemed to do it for me, but I am by no means an expert...

Old 03-25-2007, 09:16 PM
Trailblazer
Default break-in tips

Thanks for the info guys. I've been itching to go for a burn today, so I did for about 10 minutes. The first thing I noticed was that the CVT was quite a bit louder than my Outy. Not a big deal. It handles decent for a solid rear axle and I really like that exhaust rumble. I couldn't resist gunning it for a few seconds, this thing hauls a$$ which is why I bought it. 2 year warranty is nice too!

Old 03-26-2007, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default break-in tips

well best of luck with it!

I pick up my 650i on Wed. if I didnt boast already

Old 03-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Trailblazer
Default break-in tips

DRIVE IT EASY FOR A COUPLE HOURS (hard to do i know!)LET THINGS SEAT IN THEN YOU RUN IT A LITTLE HARDER ONLY TO 3/4 THROTTLE FOR SHORT BURSTS FOR A COUPLE HOURS THEN DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND DUMP THE OIL AND FILTER AND USE SYNTHETIC ATV OIL LIKE AMSOIL THATS WHAT I USED CAUSE THESE ENGINES HAVE A TENDENCY TO RUN HOT,YOU WILL NOTICE RUNNING IN WARM WEATHER THE FAN WILL RUN A LOT ON THE TRAIL MINE DID BUT AFTER USING SYNTHETIC THE FAN DID NOT RUN HALF AS MUCH!THEN EASE IN TO THE FULL THROTTLE SHORT BURSTS AT FIRST 5 TO 10 SECONDS FOR A COUPLE HRS THEN YOU ARE BROKE IN RIGHT! IF YOU DONT BREAK IT IN RIGHT YOU WILL START TO USE OIL IN A COUPLE THOUSAND MILES OR SO . GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!

Old 03-26-2007, 07:52 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default break-in tips

very good advise. just dont hold it wide open for any period of time and always very the throttle position and not hold it in one place for extended periods of time.

Trending Topics

Old 03-26-2007, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default break-in tips

Speaking of synthetic I hav a Q...

Does 1 want to breakin a motor with none synthetic 1st???

Is their any harm you could do to the motor if you used just synthetic ???

Thx....

Old 03-26-2007, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default break-in tips

Mr. Shawn...

Back when synthetics were new, I had always heard that you break-in with dino oil and then swap to synthetic. I'm sure if you ask 10 people about this topic then you're going to get 10 different answers. I figure it does no harm at all to just run standard oil during break-in, and then swap it out. That is what I'm doing in my YFZ450... Factory oil, and then swap out to Amsoil 0W40 Synthetic after 20 hours or so. 10-20 hours is nothing in the grand scheme of things. I'll let someone else chime in, hopefully with some hard evidence.

And yes, the YFZ450 is a tad faster than the Scrammy...

Old 03-26-2007, 11:52 PM
Trailblazer
Default break-in tips

synthetic oil protects to well and wont allow the parts to seat very well,they protect wearing of any parts and you need the parts to take a seat and mesh that is why the manafacturers want standard based oils for break in

Quick Reply: break-in tips