Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

360 prairie 4x4 light flashes

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 360 prairie 4x4 light flashes

During a poker run this last weekend my 4x4 light started flashing. I have found no apparent problem and the bike is running fine. I did some searching but could not find any difinitive answers on this subject other than checking the fuses under the seat for good connections. They are fine.

p.s. close to 2000 riders on the poker run and my daughter came in first and my wife and I both placed in some money. It was a Great day!

Thanks,
Mud

Old 05-30-2007, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lights flashing is a commen problem to the praries. First, check your connections to make sure their isnt any junk in them. That can cause flasing. Next, if you want, do what i did. My 4x4 was still working great but my engine brake actuator was starting to act weird so i put a peice of electrical tape over my flashing light and took the actuator fork out (disconnects the actuator from the belt) and i like it allot better. I still have engine braking by just tapping the throttle when desending hills. Dont have to worry about it now. Also, you can spend 200 dollers for another one if its bad.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

I don't have my manual with me but the flashing light indicates it's time to either check the belt for damage and adjustment or there is a belt problem. The proper procedure is to remove the belt cover and check things out prior to resetting the light.

First be sure the ignition is turned off and then to reset the light look under the tank cover on the right side just below the shift lever. You will find two four wire connectors amongst the others there. One will be gray and one black. Unplug both of these and temporarily plug the black to gray on both of them. There is also a belt switch plug, small two wire black, that must be unplugged. This is not the one on the engine breaking system but rather the wire that exits the belt cover area just behind the breaking system motor.

Once the black and gray plugs are reversed and the two wire black plug is unplugged turn the key on for a minimum of 7 seconds. Longer will not do any harm. The 4 wheel light will flash. Once the required time has passed shut the ignition off again and put the plugs back to their original position. This should stop the belt light warning flashing. Sometimes it takes a couple of trys to get it to reset.

I would suggest you purchase a shop manual as there is a lot of routine maintenance you can do that will make your machine last a lot longer and save you a bunch of money. Covering a problem with a piece of tape is not a long term repair.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tencubed, you are correct in what you are saying but you are thinking about the check belt light, not the 4x4 light. Different meanings.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Your absolutely right alwaysride. My reading skills must be slipping away. The flashing 4X4 light indicates there is a problem with the engagement of the front axle and/or I believe another problem or two. Don't recall what the sequence or rate of flash for each problem is but I do recall it was something that needed immediate attention to prevent expensive damage. I still would suggest an alternative other than a piece of tape to cover the warning.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Your absolutely right alwaysride. My reading skills must be slipping away. The flashing 4X4 light indicates there is a problem with the engagement of the front axle and/or I believe another problem or two. Don't recall what the sequence or rate of flash for each problem is but I do recall it was something that needed immediate attention to prevent expensive damage. I still would suggest an alternative other than a piece of tape to cover the warning.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:34 PM
Range Rover

Same thing happened to my bike.... cleared up in a couple of weeks and has been fine ever since.
Strings