Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

bayou 220 engine swap OR Mods / suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bayou 220 engine swap OR Mods / suspension

Hey,
I have a friend (my main riding buddy)
who rides a 94 bayou 220

We just cleaned the carb, fixed/replaced the brakes.
and are about to do suspension ..

This is one capable little atv.
Very nimble and light, and after the carb clean., shes running great!

Little lacking on the power side.. but she can get up and go..

What has anybody done to these?

we were thing overbore + wiseco piston,
Head work,
Carb bore / jetting
Nice 4 stroke exhaust
Air box mod / hi flow

Or .. are there any other engine that might drop in?
mojave 250/300? bayou 300?

the bayou 250 is slower, so we arent interested in that california atv.

Also, front shocks are SHOT
and rears are close behind..
Can we switch out suspension from a newer / longer travel bayou?
Is there any after market?
Or i am stuck to the stockers?

Looking for a better/tighter ride for tight trails / light jumping/ whoops/ rocks

thanks!

Old 09-13-2007, 10:38 PM
BSD
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey i have a 220 too. dont know what can be done though. but you said that the 220 is faster than the 250? also, what did you mean the california atv? restrictions or something?

Old 09-14-2007, 03:01 AM
Trailblazer

the main mods that are avaliable are jet kit, k&n filter, and new exhaust. I modded my airbox lid slightly for more airflow. some people just take the lid off completely. i haven't heard of anyone doing any head work but if you do any id really like to see some pics and hear about your results.

the only engine that i think might have a chance of dropping in with few mods is probably the 300 2wd bayou.

as for shocks i know someone put works shocks on a 220 before here is the link to the thread look at the post by murphyslaw link

Old 09-14-2007, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider

I used to work on 220/250 engines in the past and the best mod would be to replace the cheap OEM plastic oil pump drive gear to a metal one. I'm not aware of any aftermarket metal gear for this quad but an average machinist can easily fabricate one. If you can't have someone make it for you, then at least install an engine oil temp gauge with a temp sensor installed near the oil pump area to monitor the oil temp. Better yet, install a small capacity oil cooler that you can buy from Pep Boys or AutoZone. You know what happens to a plastic part when the temp goes up. And you know what happens to the motor when the oil pump goes down... I've seen a few and they don't look pretty.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:54 PM
Range Rover

I own a 2007 250 I recently bought for my wife, I was looking for things for it as well, I heard wheel spacers will inprove its slender wheel base, and handling, as for more speed I heard there isnt much you can do, I am going to look into this oil temp guage and cooler, cause I know this thing drinks oil. I want to at least put a pipe on it, and some good tires and rims, make it a little bigger looking. Shocks for it I dont know much or heard of anything, if you find out anything, please, let me know, cause I am looking myself, I hate the shifter on this thing, it needs like 3" of movement, I was trying to get a heel/toe shifter for it. but I may just get a suicide shifter instead. Does the older 220 have this problem with the shifting?

Old 09-14-2007, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

Bigger wheels - It would make the quad look bigger/better and handle better for sure. But you would lose acceleration due to increased diameter of the wheels - it's like you are "numerically" decreasing the final gear ratio. Another downfall is the stress on the semi-auto clutch plates that increase engine oil temp whenever slippage occurrs due to increased wheel dia - more load on drivetrain. It again leads to the potential melting or stripping of the plastic oil pump gear teeth.
Pipe - you would need to change jetting accordingly to see any gain in hp, otherwise just increased db level.
Shifter - I hate that having to lift up the knee every time shifting up, but good exercise - same was on 220 & 185 in 80's. My cheap trick was to loosen the shift lever from the splined end of shaft coming out of the engine case, and then rotate the shift lever about 2 or 3 splines counter-clockwise to where you desire and re-tighten it. That way you don't have to lift up the knee too high. You can also heat up the shift lever with a torch and try to reshape bending downward. Important point here is to make sure there is "enough space" to slip in your toe section of your footware under the tip end of the shift lever.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:15 PM
Trailblazer

i was looking into putting an oil cooler on mine. the only thing is im not sure if the stock pump can put out enough volume and pressure. and then there is the fact that it is split into to lines one to the head and one back to the trans. maybe putting both output lines into one cooler and then split it off into 2 lines again. even then what size lines would you use. its something we should work on figuring out though as it would help all 220 and 250 owners. like hayashi said the stock plastic gear would have to go for sure. and we would need to test the psi output and flow per min as well.

as for tire size im running 23's right now. ive heard of others running 24's with no problems.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

these all sound great...
The post you linked me too..
freon cell rear shocks?
whatt are these?
are they half as nasty as they sound?

Old 09-15-2007, 11:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just joined the forum and saw this question on 220 upgrades. I just installed a snorkle kit to mine. the tires were throwing mud and water into the airbox and clogging the drains. I took 1.5" pvc and pipped two intakes to the airbox. Took a piece of plexiglass and jb welded it to the airbox lid where the intake is. I have had several people ask me to install a kit to their atv's. It not only looks sweet but is also very practical.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:45 PM
Trailblazer

mud runnin can you get any pics of your airbox setup

Quick Reply: bayou 220 engine swap OR Mods / suspension