Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

220 bayou spark issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 02:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 220 bayou spark issues

How do you test the CDI? I bought one and a coil off ebay and cdi box I bought wont work for mine. Mine all the wires are sealed into the box and the one I bought has one big plug on the bottom of it.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 220 bayou spark issues

Has anyone identified or solve this problem, I am having the same issues.
I have a '92 220 bayou that has been in storage for 5 years, went thru all electrical items using the manual clean all connectors verify wires not broken,and clean and check all grounds, everthing so far ohms ok, new battery, I just can't verify the CDI or the stator(restistance is slightly higher than range, voltage is lower than range). the only spark i get is after i release the starter button. Can the Stator be cleaned or rebuild. Thanks for any help.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have the same problem has anyone had anyluck on this one yet.....looks like its been forever since any posted.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a Mojave 1989 , my problem is no spark " so I think" . I rebuilt the carb.., checked the wires and cleans them, it has great compression ,.
New spark plug .
Could it be the CDI or coil?

Old 07-05-2013, 02:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Can someone please help me? Which position is the starter switch supposed to be in for "running" on the kawasaki bayou 220a? There isn't an "on" position. Also, when trying to start it using starter, there is a click under the seat but electric start doent turn over. It is in neutral. Tried pull starting till nearly broke hand. Dialectric greased little metal clips up om that thing on very top underneat gas tank for good connection. New spark plug. New premium gas. Can't start. Please help me.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default What are u mean the stator are u talking about the starter or pull start

[QUOTE=JustRandy;2479080]Yeah, try switching the wires on the stator. I replaced the stator on my 230 quadsport and didn't have any spark. In the directions, it said to switch the wires in the stator if no spark before calling tech support. So, I tried that and got spark. Worth a shot. It didnt make any sense to me, but it worked.

What do u mean by saying the stator are u talking about the starter or pull start

Old 09-10-2016, 03:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by camperloco
Has anyone identified or solve this problem, I am having the same issues.
I have a '92 220 bayou that has been in storage for 5 years, went thru all electrical items using the manual clean all connectors verify wires not broken,and clean and check all grounds, everthing so far ohms ok, new battery, I just can't verify the CDI or the stator(restistance is slightly higher than range, voltage is lower than range). the only spark i get is after i release the starter button. Can the Stator be cleaned or rebuild. Thanks for any help.

Has anyone seemed to find the solution to this problem I'm having the same issue and coil ,Cdi were replaced ohm the stator , coil , pickup coil, stop / start switch , checked the gap on the magnito ohm the wiring harness cleaned and check grounds and wiring was all ohm known good battery only thing I'm thinking is changing the starter selinoid ??? If someone has found the solution please fill me in I'm ready to TNT this B---h

Old 09-11-2016, 02:43 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Not certain about the 220, but the 300 and 400s had car style DC ignition, so stator condition doesn't make one bit of difference to sparking. Battery power is fed via the ignition switch to the cdi and the positive side of the coil, a signal from a pickup coil on the flywheel also goes to cdi. The CDI then momentarily earths the negative lead to the coil, which produces HT for a spark.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

Has anyone figured this problem out yet? I'm having the same issue I have spark but only when letting off the electric start button . It will not start off the pull start I have checked the wiring harness ohm it out new spark plug known good Cdi known good coil . Ohm out the pickup coil the stator all that checked out good I adjusted the pickup coil to the magnito swapped ignition switches and nothing seems to fix the issue???

Old 09-11-2016, 04:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

[QUOTE=merryman;3337610]Not certain about the 220, but the 300 and 400s had car style DC ignition, so stator condition doesn't make one bit of difference to sparking. Battery power is fed via the ignition switch to the cdi and the positive side of the coil, a signal from a pickup coil on the flywheel also goes to cdi. The CDI then momentarily earths the negative lead to the coil, which produces HT for spark

I understand but what's not making sence is that it only has spark while releasing the electric start button?

Quick Reply: 220 bayou spark issues