Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

2008 Prairie speedometer install

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Prairie speedometer install

I'm new to the world of ATVs and this forum, just picked up a 08 Prairie and got a speedometer, the guy at the dealership said, just pop off the plastic circle and plug in the 3 wires (red, blk, green) to the open connections.

Here in lies the problem, I searched everywhere for these colors and open connections with no luck.

I took off the two screws which hold the cover, lifted it up a bit and peered around for a long while.

Does anyone have any tips on this? Are the wires I'm looking for terminated or taped up somewhere else?

Thanks,

Old 09-27-2007, 01:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I'll answer my own topic, in case someone else is having the same question.

The 3 wires are tucked away in a separate bag, zip tied together. So after you undo the first bag, there is a second around the 3 receptacle wires.

To get to them, I loosened the left side of the fender (as if you were sitting on it) enough to where I could separate the fender from the main body. Of course, you have to take off the front rack, but just loosening this up and pulling back on the plastic gave enough room to get your hands down in there and find it.

So, Do not look for the wire colors, they will be in another black zip tied bag.

I had read in other forums that people took the entire fender off, and others who spent hours digging for the wires.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you found them, that seems to be a commen problem on the 360 people not being able to find them.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah, it was a bit of a pain, but well worth it. I only have 15 miles on the quad so far, but I absolutely love this machine. Took it antelope hunting this past weekend. We get bad spurs / stickers out here in SD, so I opted for the 6 ply mud lites, injected them with some slime (cactus juice) or whatever people call the green stuff... and it worked like a champ. I'm already eying another prairie for the wife...

Old 10-01-2007, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awsome man, glad you like it. Here is a tip for the prairies. Make sure you use low gear when ever pulling, pushing, or going 10 mph or less and your belt should be good. Using high wears out the belt quicker needinga new belt or belt adjustment. Enjoy man

Old 10-19-2007, 04:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ryanee

Well, I'll answer my own topic, in case someone else is having the same question.

The 3 wires are tucked away in a separate bag, zip tied together. So after you undo the first bag, there is a second around the 3 receptacle wires.

To get to them, I loosened the left side of the fender (as if you were sitting on it) enough to where I could separate the fender from the main body. Of course, you have to take off the front rack, but just loosening this up and pulling back on the plastic gave enough room to get your hands down in there and find it.

So, Do not look for the wire colors, they will be in another black zip tied bag.

I had read in other forums that people took the entire fender off, and others who spent hours digging for the wires.</end quote></div>

I'm having the same problem. I unfortunately pulled the RH side fender up (as that was where the dealer said it was) and didn't find anything. I'll try the LH side tomorrow. Thanks!