Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

1992 Bayou 220 help...what this screw for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Bayou 220 help...what this screw for?

i still can not find the chapter on how to remove and install the clutch adjustment screw.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nevermind i found it! took an hour!

Old 10-25-2007, 02:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

darkfoxx i have a Intertec ATC / ATV Service and Repair Shop Manual * 2nd Edition That covers Honda , Suzuki , Kawasaki , Yamaha and Polaris ATC's And ATV's , it cover's so many Brand's amd model's that it doesn't go into great detail on removal replacement and repair ; and it doesn't cover all model's of every brand ! On the Kawasaki's with the semi auto clutch transmission's there are 3 different way's to acess the adjusting screw's , one has a rubber cap to remove to acess the adjusting screw and locknut , one has 2 screw's to remove the cover to acess the adjusting screw and locknut ; and the other has 3 screw's to remove the cover to acess the adjusting screw and locknut ! My manual doesn't cover the KLF220 or the KLF250 but if your KLF220 has the semi auto clutch the adjustment's are the same as one of 3 in my manual , but if your KLF220 has a manual clutch it wouldn't be covered in this manual ; on the manual clutcn model transmission the clutch is disengaged using the left hand lever on the handleBar's ! On the semi auto clutch model transmission the atv has a multiple - disc clutch that is activated by the gear shift lever . As the gear shift lever is operated to change gears , the clutch is disengaged through a linkage connected to the shift shaft ; as you are shifting up or down a gear when your foot is pressed up or down as you're changing gear's the clutch is disingaged while your foot has pressure on the shifter ! When you release the pressure on the foot shifter the clutch is engaged , and with each time you go up or down a gear ; while your foot has pressure on the shifter the clucth is disengaged and ingaged when you release the pressure ! This is the best way i can describe the way the semi auto clutch work's on your ATV , so if your quad has the semi auto clutch type transmission it only depend's on whitch type of cover your model has ; on the KLF220 the adjustment of the clutch should be like this ! Remove the screws holding the cover to access the adjusting screw and locknut , loosen the locknut and turn the adjusting screw clockwise untill the screw start's to get hard to turn ; then turn the screw counterclockwise untill resistance is felt . Hold the screw in position and tighten the locknut , then reinstall the cover ; and check the clutch adjustment by shifting gears with the engine idling . The Engine should not die/stall when changing gears , these instruction's are for a Kawasaki KLF185 ; it should be the same on the KLF220 and the KLF250 if they have the semi auto clutch transmission ! About removing the adjusting screw and locknut , like you were talking about maybe having to replace them ; this manual doesn't have the instructions for this job ! But hopefully you won't have to go through that job , anyway good luck ; and i hope you get your Kawasaki going again and that the cost isn't to bad ! ...............

Old 10-25-2007, 05:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dakfoxx glad to hear that you found out how to fix the clutch , and you won't regret buying the shop manual it will pay for itself with the first complete servicing of you quad , a simple oil/oil filter change and air filter cleaning and reoiling the air filter ; valve adjustment brake adjustment and bleeding the cylinders ! Having a Dealership do just oil and oil filter change would cost you at least $150 to $200 or more with part's and labor ! Well let us know how the clutch turned out with all the detail's on what a job it is easy or hard it was with clutch , and how long it took you ; just in case anyone else has the do this their quad ont day ! Good luck to you and i hope all goes well ! ...............