Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

wiring diagram bayou 300 1987

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 02:56 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

"got new high performance cdi unit and new coil"

That is almost all there is on a KLF300. Check Red/Yellow is live from ignition to both coil and ignitor (CDI). At CDI check Black/Yellow is a good earth. That the Green/White is good between CDI and coil and that Black (or black/white) and Blue are producing an AC voltage pulse at the CDI when engine is spun on starter. Because it is DC ignition, coil has to be a 12v car type coil.

Old 05-22-2018, 04:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merryman
"got new high performance cdi unit and new coil"

That is almost all there is on a KLF300. Check Red/Yellow is live from ignition to both coil and ignitor (CDI). At CDI check Black/Yellow is a good earth. That the Green/White is good between CDI and coil and that Black (or black/white) and Blue are producing an AC voltage pulse at the CDI when engine is spun on starter. Because it is DC ignition, coil has to be a 12v car type coil.
hey thx can u send me a colour pic of the stator plug so we know wat wires go where as we have 3yellow wires coming from stator and on bike end hasn’t got a plug on it which is confusing

Old 05-23-2018, 01:06 AM
Elite Pro Rider

The three yellow go into the voltage regulator. I haven't a KLF300 in the workshop, so can't help with pictures. The bike will run quite happily without the stator wired up. (until the battery runs down), so that won't affect sparking. It is the blue and the black/white from trigger coil that need to be working.

Old 08-05-2022, 02:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by eddie440
there is a small black with yellow stripe wire that comes out rite next to the breather on the 300 that grounds to the battery that makes it fire and will make the solinoid work when you ground it. i just had the same problem on the one i just picked up . i grounded it to the battery and it fired rite up eddie440
Wiring harness diagram color coded for 1990 Kawasaki bayou 300 2wd four-wheeler
​​​​​​​

Old 01-31-2023, 07:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

The three yellow go into the voltage regulator. I haven't a KLF300 in the workshop, so can't help with pictures. The bike will run quite happily without the stator wired up. (until the battery runs down), so that won't affect sparking. It is the blue and the black/white from trigger coil that need to be working.
I have pulse coming threw my blew wire going to cdi from stator but I don’t have power coming out of the green and white wire unless I plug it up to the coil, but the the power from the yellow red wire is going threw the coil powering the green wire but it won’t pulse or anything

Old 02-01-2023, 03:36 AM
Elite Pro Rider

The system is a conversion of the old coil and points system, same as used by 1980s cars. The ignitor box replaces the points, so that green/white sends a neg pulse to coil once a rev when the trigger tells it to, just like when the points would open and close. If you disconnect it from the ignitor and short that green/white to earth, you get a spark at the plug. To work, the ignitor needs a pos wire r/y, a neg wire b/y, and the pulse coil wires, if you are getting full 12v power to the ignitor and a pulse from the pulse coil, but no pulse to the ignition coil on that g/w wire, the ignitor is faulty.

Old 02-02-2024, 02:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

The system is a conversion of the old coil and points system, same as used by 1980s cars. The ignitor box replaces the points, so that green/white sends a neg pulse to coil once a rev when the trigger tells it to, just like when the points would open and close. If you disconnect it from the ignitor and short that green/white to earth, you get a spark at the plug. To work, the ignitor needs a pos wire r/y, a neg wire b/y, and the pulse coil wires, if you are getting full 12v power to the ignitor and a pulse from the pulse coil, but no pulse to the ignition coil on that g/w wire, the ignitor is faulty.
we're is the ignitor and pulse coil???

Old 02-03-2024, 03:12 AM
Elite Pro Rider

The pulse coil is on the outside of the flywheel. Can't remember where the ignitor box is, as it is years since I worked on a 300s ignition system. It may be different on early KLF300s anyway as they changed things a lot on the B & C models. As I recall, it is a cigarette packet sized black box with wires of the colours outlined above coming out, to a couple of white connectors.