Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

What tires to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 11:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What tires to buy?

I was looking at the pictures of the Mojave I am getting and noticed that the tires look like there are not far from needing replacement. I have no idea where to start as to buying new tires. I want a tire that will last me as long as possible, and really just good for all around use. I am not gonna try and race unless it's just me and a buddy, but that doesn't justify buying racing tires. I just want tires that will be good for trail riding, jumping, and just all around having fun, both on dry dirt, and in the mud. Any recommendations?

Old 04-18-2008, 09:52 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I know when I was shopping for tires, I had some of the same concerns you do. I just wanted a fun tire. Especially, one that would slide sideways easy. I asked a lot of questions and read lots of reviews and finally settled on the Kenda Klaw XC sport in the 20 inch. http://www.kendausa.com/atv/sport.html Its a dual rotation tire, so you can flip them around for hard or soft terrain. It works pretty good for me. I can throw the back end sideways without really giving it much gas and still have good straight line hook up. The only thing I don't like is its a bit heavy at 16 lbs. The only other tire I'd like to try is the Trac Star from ITP. http://www.itptires.com/sportatv/tracstar.html Its the lightest tire out! 13lbs in the 20s. Has good spacing between lugs to clean the mud out and I hear it slides pretty well too. And its a radial.

Those are the only sport tires of any interest to me. Those holeshots and GNCCs and razrs n whatever get too much traction for anything small like a 250cc quad. Just not a fun tire. That's what I get from reading all the reviews anyway. "Unpredictable hookup when sliding." Plus the close ***** don't clean out the mud.

I guess all the tires wear about the same unless you get a race compound, which is soft and wears fast. As long as you don't take them on pavement, any tire should last a long time. And for a Mojave, I would definitely stay with 20 inch tires for the back. I would put 23's on the front. 1) Having the front higher helps going down a bumpy hill - not as scary. 2) Larger front tires ride over larger rocks n logs in the trail. 3) Larger front tires don't spin as fast as smaller ones, so you get better turning traction. 4) Larger fronts have a little more cushion to smooth out bumps. 5) Having a higher front end and lower back helps sliding control. 6) Doesn't seem to affect hill climbing. 7) It just looks cool!

Old 04-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

My neighbor has these on his 2wd Lakota. He loves them. Says they ride great on the hard stuff and handle really well in the mud also.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:36 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I'd put those on my bayou, but NEVER on my sport quad. I guess it all depends on what you want to accomplish.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I appreciate the responses guys. The Kendas are what it has on their now, but they are klaw XCR instead of the XC, but pretty much the same... I like them, but I think I like those trac stars a little more. The guy I am buying the quad from has aluminum rims on the back, and still has the stock rims as well, so I might buy those mudlight tires for use in the winter on the snow. I think those would be good for snow...

Old 04-21-2008, 04:23 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Yeah, I'd really like to try the TracStars too. If you get them and don't like them, maybe you can sell them to me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

HA, as long as the fit on my wheel and don't blow up I will ride them till they are bare whether I really like em or not...lol But from what I have read about them I will like them.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Yeah, I think I would too. I think more people would like them, but too many buy into the hype of the holeshots. Gotta have that name!

Old 04-21-2008, 05:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just want something not overpriced, that will last me and will ride good and get decent traction. I don't care about the name.