Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Possible belt problems with 08 Brute..

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible belt problems with 08 Brute..

Well guys I tried to search and get my answer, but I just could not find the answer I was looking for.

My 08 Brute is making a low sandpaper sound. It does it only when giving it throttle at low speeds. I pulled off the CVT cover and there was some dust in it. I blew it all out, I hope. The belt seemed loose, are you suppose to turn the belt with ease by hand over the pulleys? When I was taking the bolts off the CVT cover they were hot. The pulleys do have a lot of shine where the belt rides also.

It only started this after I rode in some water. Thanks in advance..

Old 07-07-2008, 09:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

My buddy got an 08 recently and has had major belt and air intake issues. The belt sounds like its getting wet to me in your case. His cover was warped. We ended up having to silicon the air box lid also. They made some major changes from the carb models to the injected brutes. IMO I'll take my carb'd anyday. I hope they get the kinks worked out though cause I'm gonna need another one soon, the kids are gettin older and ain't gonna like Mom and Dad out riding with them at Granma's much longer.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:22 PM
Trailblazer

I found out the noise is not from the belt. I took off the cover and could see when I was riding it. The noise is only at very low speeds and then it goes away. It never makes a noise when you are off the throttle. It is also not a steady sound. The CVT cover seemed to get very warm on a couple short rides in the woods. Is this a new problem with the 08?

If so I maybe looking to get rid of it. I got water into the air intake then it went into the engine, the CVT gets hot, and it was over heating on my first time on the trails. My Prairie never had any of these problems.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:46 PM
Range Rover

hell, my 800 Polaris sounds like a rattly piece of junk but it rides and drives good. My First ATV so i would not know the difference.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Executioner

I found out the noise is not from the belt. I took off the cover and could see when I was riding it. The noise is only at very low speeds and then it goes away. It never makes a noise when you are off the throttle. It is also not a steady sound. The CVT cover seemed to get very warm on a couple short rides in the woods. Is this a new problem with the 08?

If so I maybe looking to get rid of it. I got water into the air intake then it went into the engine, the CVT gets hot, and it was over heating on my first time on the trails. My Prairie never had any of these problems.</end quote></div>

I'd guess the water is directly from the air box, the seal is crap,... could the rattle be from the engine braking? I hear mine ever so often. IMO the carb'd quads are a much better design. At least from an 06 650 to an 08 750.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Executioner

Well guys I tried to search and get my answer, but I just could not find the answer I was looking for.

My 08 Brute is making a low sandpaper sound. It does it only when giving it throttle at low speeds. I pulled off the CVT cover and there was some dust in it. I blew it all out, I hope. The belt seemed loose, are you suppose to turn the belt with ease by hand over the pulleys? When I was taking the bolts off the CVT cover they were hot. The pulleys do have a lot of shine where the belt rides also.

It only started this after I rode in some water. Thanks in advance..</end quote></div>

You didn't state what size tires you are using. Any size from the 27" & up will need a Clutch spring upgrade.
B/c of the air intake design, others have installed snorkels.
Check your belt deflection, if it is out of adjustment, adjust the belt.
Also, when riding in deep water/mud, be sure to be in 4wd low. Reverse gearing is inbetween High & low but more to the high gearing.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Trailblazer

The tires are 25's and it isn't the engine braking, because the noise is only when I give it gas. I'd say over 5mph and the noise stops. It seems to do it the most when under stress like going up hills at low speeds and it is not a constant noise. The noise sounds like it is coming from the engine not the belt area.
Now that I took off the CVT cover and went up a hill I can say that the noise is not the belt. I guess I'll just keep riding it until the noise gets worse or stops. Maybe it is a loose bolt on the exhaust or something? Would that make a constant noise?

I did take it in about a week ago and they said everything sounds fine, but I know the noise was not there when I bought it.