Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

After market rims?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 11:29 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After market rims?

Hello, I currently own a 2002 Kawasaki Mojave and would like to know if anyone here has aftermarket rims on there mojaves. I found out today that 8.5 inch wide rims are to narrow for 11 inch wide tires. I am planning on buying Interco Swamp Lites tires and need new rims. I found a nice set of rims that fit on a Suzuki Ozark 250 but they will not fit on my mojave 250, I tested it. I need a 10x9 rear rim so if anyone has any suggestions for me please let me know. One question, how would you know if the rim on a website would fit your ATV? I know some websites you can type in your make and model of your ATV then it gives you your options but other websites do not. So how would I go about finding out if the rim will fit on my quad?? Thanks

Old 07-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Range Rover

Hey KawiMojave, if I remember right you asked a similar question about rims a couple of weeks ago in a topic called "What's an offset for rims??". Check that post for additional info, but basically just make sure that you have the right bolt pattern - for you it is a 4 / 155 but a 4/156 will work, just slides on with a tight fit. Also check to make sure that the rim isnt offset too far to the inside so you dont rub anything. So when you get a wider rim, make sure that the inside # is 3 or less (if I remember right this is true for both front and rear) and that the extending of the rim is done on the outside. Also doing this should help you get a little better handling on corners.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Range Rover

Hey esonnen, Thanks so much, that right there helped me out alot, thanks again, and when i get new rims which should be pretty soon, mabey a few weekd, i will tell you how they and if your advice really did help me, thanks. One more question, do you no of any cheap but good rear rims.i am looking at a price range from 40$ a rim to 75$ a rim. Thanks again

Old 07-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Range Rover

certain years of banshees (late 80's I think) have the same bolt pattern but but they are a rim with no offset, so if you can find some that came off a banshee but that doesnt have more than 3 inches inner offset, it should work- just double check the bolt pattern. Also, if you relocated your battery, you can get handle more inner offset (the battery is the only thing that is really in the way, but keep in mind that if you shift the tires torward the inside, you wont be as stable on turns. I have a set of alluminum rear rims that came off a banshee with a 4/156 bolt pattern but they make the tire rub against my battery- they are 10" rims, 8" wide with no offset. I am planning on listing them on ebay and hope to get 80 for the set so if you know anyone who needs them, let me know. A lot of Polaris have the 4/156 bolt pattern, but it is generally for the bigger machines so they have 12 or 14 inch rims, but check it out. Another thing to keep in mind is that on the rear, it wont hurt to invert the tires (put the valve stems to the inside) but it wont work on the fronts due to the brakes. This gives you more options when looking for rims. Hope this extra info helps you in your quest. I would watch ebay and be patient. Oh yeah, many yamahas have a 4/156 bolt pattern on the fronts as well.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:33 PM
Range Rover

thanks, but do you have any clue about what ATV Brands, make the 4/155 or 4/156 size

Old 07-07-2008, 11:26 PM
Range Rover

oh yeah, the 2003 predator has the rear rim that will fit with a 156 pattern. I would say probably ITP, douglas, or just stick with your stock rims and maybe go with a narrower tire. If you already bought the tires, I would try spending the 5 or 10 bucks and try mounting one of the tires just to see what it does and put it on both sides to make sure there arent any clearance problems. Keep in mind that the lakota and the mojave are the same exact frame, except the lakota has a 1 inch longer swingarm. On this website it talks about them putting 11 inch wide tires on the stock rims then they upgraded to itp aluminum rims https://atvconnection.com/F...rt-Modifications-5.cfm it is worth a read. If money is a concern for you as it is for me, I would use the stock rims and just try the bigger tire and see what it does. Also, when you do upgrade to aluminum rims then you will know if your stock size of rims will work or if you have to do some major hunting. Also just google your desired rim size and see what you come up with.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:33 PM
Range Rover

another thought- if you do much jumping go with a heavier aluminum rim, such as a .190 but if you just do flat racing and dunes then .125 will be fine. I think they also make a .160 or .150 rim if you want something in between.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Range Rover

wow, that too ka lot of stuff of my back, now i am not cunfused any more
Thanks, and oh yeah, what tires and rims do you have on your lakota? what year is your lakota?

Old 07-09-2008, 10:21 AM
Range Rover

Im glad I could help. My lakota has all stock rims but I am hoping to someday get aluminum rims and extend my axle and a arms. As far as tires go, my front are stock and the rear are Dunlop KT987 20 x 11 - 10 and they work pretty good, definitely better than the stock Goodyear Wranglers that came on it. I love the way they fit on the rims though. I got them used but probably when I upgrade to aluminum rims I will get some 6 ply razr2's. All in good time I guess. I am in North-Eastern North Dakota, where are you at or where do you ride at? BTW, I dont know about stock tires for a mojave, but the stock tires for mine are 22 x 11 - 10 (11 inches wide)

Old 07-09-2008, 11:03 AM
Range Rover

i live in Connecticut, and there is no places to ride. So we have to ride in our own back yards or in the woods behind our houses if you have any.Even that is illegal. i have ITP holeshot XCT's for the rear tires and XC on the front. I found the stock rims, but they are 10x8 and i think those are a bit small considering that, i think the tires i have on my mojave are not the same width as the stock tires int the rear, i bought my ATV used with the new tires on them. soo yeah.. Well thanks again