Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

new owner of 06 brute force 650i

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 12:11 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new owner of 06 brute force 650i

i am new to the belt driven bikes. i just bought a 650 brute , was wanting someone to tell me the in and outs on not shredin the belt . u know what to do and what not to do . any input on oil and diff fluid changes would be great also. thanks Tim

Old 04-19-2009, 03:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

There really is nothing you can do to keep from shredding the belt other than periodic maintenance (belt inspection) and using low gear in high torque low speed applications (towing or rock crawling, etc). As I like to say when in doubt use low gear and you wont have a belt issue!

As far as oil changes go use you owners manual as far as recommended oil viscountcies. Go and buy a good full synthetic oil for all your fluids, you can't go wrong! Congrats and happy trails on the new bike!

:Note: When it comes to maintenance on a quad you can never do too much or too often! JMO

Old 04-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Trailblazer

come on , theres no brute force riders out there

Old 04-19-2009, 06:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Oh there is but there are probably out riding on a Sunday! LOL

Old 04-25-2009, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider

You'll kill the belt from abuse, that's about it (mostly in reverse or pullin Honda's out of holes...lol) unless it's not adjusted correctly.

Inpect it every 100 hours and change it every 1700 km's as the manual says and you'll be fine. I've burn't mine a few times from pushing her, but you'll smell and hear it when it happens.

And BTW, might as well buy a puller now, and an extra belt and learn how to do it before your first scheduled belt replacment. The puller is the best $35.00 you'll spend if you own a Brute.

Get a copy of the manual. A must have.

Check this forum for a wiring problem near the right rear frame rail, if it has not melted yet, take it apart and repair it now before it does.

I always with a new to me machine, change all fluids, belt, plugs, etc... just to know the starting point of the maintenance. You get to know you bike and a few $$ to start will save $$$$$$ in the future.

And if you use it in any water, might as well change the diffs every few trips and the oil as often as you want, never can over maintain your fluids.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Trailblazer

Hello there...I joined this site some time ago, but have not been on here in awhile...I too own an 06' 650 sra Brute Force....It is new to me and my first atv....I purchased it with only 190 miles on it...I just got back from a weekend trip to my remote cabin assessible only by boat or trail...so nice to not have to walk in carrying gear...and no more wheelbarrowing cleaning up rakings....anyways...I don't know too much about the machine other than what I have picked up on here...the guys on here are super great...just be patient and someone will get back to ya on a question...anyways....happy trails to all.....

Old 05-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

How many miles can you get out of CVT belt?
How often shoud the belt be checked/adjusted?
Those are very common questions. The fact is there is no set number. Everyone rides differently on different terrain. One can smoke the belt in an hour and another can have 4000+ miles on a single belt. Just remember, the CVT belt is the weakest link on the drivetrain. It's like a fuse.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:46 PM
Trailblazer

Like KMKjr said... Don't pull anyone out in reverse. As for motor and diff fluid, use a synthetic oil like Mobil Racing 4T in the engine and front diff. For the rear diff I use Amsoil Tractor fluid. The drain plugs for the diff is a 5mm hex, make dang sure to clean out the crud in the hex head before you try to loosen it. Otherwise the hex drive won't set square and you'll strip the head. I learned this the hard way....

The biggest issue I have with my Kaw is the rear brake cable freezes in the winter. Just be sure to use cable lube at the end of the summer. Also if you mud alot, be sure clean the radiator after each ride.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by DODGE57HEMI
There really is nothing you can do to keep from shredding the belt other than periodic maintenance (belt inspection) and using low gear in high torque low speed applications (towing or rock crawling, etc). As I like to say when in doubt use low gear and you wont have a belt issue!
In addition to above advice, there are other things you can do to prolong the belt life.
> Clean out dust inside the CVT housing, but don't use water or any other liquid. Just use a clean dry rag and contact/brake cleaner.
> Try not using too big/aggressive treaded tires, lots of strain to the belt.
> Keep the belt deflection at minimal amount possible w/o causing the quad to creep at idle speed in gear. Less deflection means, less slipping and longer lasting of the belt.
> Don't baby the throttle when taking off, causing the belt to slip. Just hit it but not WOT.
> Don't try to pull or tow that exceeds its limit. The belt will be the first thing to go out since it is the weakest link in the drivetrain.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:09 AM
Trailblazer

I use royal purple full synthetic. not saying its better its just what i use.
put it in 4wd before you get in the deep and not after its too late.
engage the diff lock before you need it, that way the clutch disks dont slip as much and cause more wear. high lifter makes a manual diff lock pin, if interested; to keep it locked and your fingers where they should be. others seem to swear by it.