Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

03 prairie 650 seems to rpms restricted

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 03:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 prairie 650 seems to rpms restricted

my uncle has an 03 prairie 650 that he went to fire up for the first time this season, gave the battery a jump and it started fine, better then it normally does; he goes to use it and it seems like the rpms are restricted, the same as the would be when you back up with out the override; in fact that override isn't even working in reverse. we think it must be with the system that restricts your reverse motion but we are not sure where it is and how we could fix it. Also the belt light is now flashing, it was solid, he replaced the belt about a year ago and light stayed on and now it is flashing. could the machine be doing this because it thinks the belt is to worn? when he replaced the belt originally should the light have gone off or should he have reset it some how. thanks, i know its a bit winded but i just wanted to make sure you knew what we know.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

either the belt switch is tripped or on that model you might need to do a reset of the computer. I can't remember how to do it as mine does not need this done. Also on some they had a 100 hour service light come on and it would do the same thing.

I copied this from another site hope it helps!

Belt light reset procedure for late 2003 P650, P400, and BF650SRA.

1. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

2. Disconnect both sets of 5 pin connectors located above the CVT cover. Note: These connectors are located just beneath the shift handle on the right side of the 650; one is black and one is grey.

3. Connect these 5 pin connectors to their opposite pairs (grey to black and black to grey).

4. Turn the ignition switch ON.

5. Disconnect the belt failure switch at the 2-pin connector above the CVT cover. (Note: Just follow the wires coming from the rectangular black box on the CVT Cover to locate this connector.)

6. Observe the belt-warning lamp. It should be flashing at a 0.4 second interval for a few seconds then start to flash slower. Let the lamp flash for at least seven seconds.

7. After seven seconds or more, turn the ignition switch off.

8. Reconnect 5 pin connectors to their proper location (black to black, grey to grey).

9. Connect the belt failure switch 2-pin connector (wires from CVT cover).

10. Turn the ignition switch on to confirm that the belt warning light is not flashing. Retry this procedure if needed. As far as I have heard it always works if the belt switch isn't tripped and there are no electrical problems.