Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

1999 kawasaki prairie 400 carb issues HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 09:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 kawasaki prairie 400 carb issues HELP!

so i removed the carb to give it a good cleaning, cleaned all the jet and everything, put all back togeather. the unit will NOT start with the choke alone. the carb has a primer on the side and if you prime it about 3 times it will start right away, then you can put the choke on to keep it running while the engine warms up. other than that it runs like a champ. the problem is i've never had to use this primer even on the coldest mornings and actually didn't even realize it had one until i removed the carb to clean it. it has always started right up with just the choke. does anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be or is this the proper way they are suposed work.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:05 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Not necessarily anything wrong,they put a primer there for a reason.

Did you put the pilot air jet back in its exact same spot. If you read this ,thats a vital step. Disassembly and Cleaning of a Mikuni Round slide Carburetor

Using a flathead screwdriver, screw the pilot air jet in until it is fully closed, while counting the number of turns. Now write this number down, and you can remove the pilot air jet by fully unscrewing it. You will need to make sure the air jet ends up the exact same amount of turns out as it was originally when you put it back together.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Unhappy

thanks for the reply TLC. yea i was very carefull when taking the carb apart to take note of all the settings. i've cleaned and rebuilt many carbs in my lifetime but never had one to act this way. i'm going to pull the carb back apart one more time just to be for sure everything is so so. but it just doesn't make since that it won't cold start with just the choke seeing as it always has in the past. unless maybe it wasn't working properly then. but i know the choke is working cause after the unit is running u can push the choke over it will still start to load up. just doesn't make any sense to me.