Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Where are connectors to reset belt light?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where are connectors to reset belt light?

Ok I have a 03 KVF 360 that has the belt light on steady. I read how to reset it by joining the grey to black terminals below the shifter. Problem is there is no way they will connect together. The physical spacing of the pins on each connector is different. They will not fit. The black and grey connectors along with the 2 pin connector for the belt switch are right there all together. Is there some other place they put these connectors? I looked everywhere else aside from removing the fender and can't find anything.

I haven't checked the belt yet, wanted to try the reset first.
Thanks
Kel

Old 04-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider

I would use a jumper wire and a small brad to insert into the female end and an aligator clip on the jumper wire to have them connect

Old 04-12-2011, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by kelpaso
Problem is there is no way they will connect together. The physical spacing of the pins on each connector is different. They will not fit.
Are you sure?
I have worked on many Prairies and Brute Forces and never seen anything like that. Also, I've never read anyone else posting such problem here..
You may want to look deeper into the fender.
Post some photos if possible.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Trailblazer

Hi thanks for the replies. Well everything I've read says the black and grey 5 pin connectors and the 2 pin connector are right under the shift handle and all beside each other, and they are there. I'm a licensed auto mechanic and I can safely say they will not connect together. the black connector is simply different from the grey connector.

There are no other connectors anywhere near there and even in the front fender as far as I can see. Maybe I might have to remove the fender and see if they might be under there somewhere. Even the pictures from the manual shows where they are under the shifter and they ARE there, they just wont fit together. Now I'm confused.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:23 AM
Pro Rider

Are the color codes of the connectors wires matching with what manual shows on the page 16-72 schematics upper left corner?
Are you the original owner of the quad since new? I am wondering if someone butchered the harness for whatever reason.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:38 AM
Trailblazer

Hi hayashi, I don't have the whole manual. I just got the part of the manual for resetting the light off the internet. I don't have the wiring diagram.
I'm fixing this for a friend who is the original owner and hasn't touched the bike other than changing the oil.

The connectors all look original, no splices, all the factory tie wraps still in place. I'll take some pics and try posting them here.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

When posting photos, make sure you show he connector shape and the wire colors...

Old 04-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Trailblazer

I did a little research. I went right to the Kawi dealer and talked to the head mechanic and told him my problem. He said, like everyone else, that the black and grey connectors should be the same and I should be able to connect them together. I told him they were different and will NOT connect together. So we went out in the yard and looked at a couple used bikes- a 06 and a 08. Sure enough the black and grey connectors were the same and would connect together. So now he, I, and everyone else is confused why the connectors on this bike are different. The black connector is the same as the other bikes I looked at but the grey connector is definitely different on this bike.

Thanks
Kel

Old 04-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Trailblazer

Ok here are the pics. First is the 2 pin and 5 pin connectors under the gear shift. Sorry for the blurr but you can see what I mean. Like I said before, there are No other connectors anywhere near these ones.

Attached Thumbnails Where are connectors to reset belt light?-100_5783.jpg   Where are connectors to reset belt light?-100_5784.jpg   Where are connectors to reset belt light?-100_5788.jpg  
Old 04-14-2011, 12:53 PM
Trailblazer

Ok now I feel like an idiot. I found another connector hidden up behind the frame that is the right connector. Did the reset and light is out now

Thanks for the help guys.