Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

97 Prairie 400

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 06:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Prairie 400

HI everyone,
looking for a little insight on a few things on my 97 prairie. I just got it, it runs but I just took the carb out because it wont stay running..lol
anyway, there is a tube coming off the bottom of the carb that ran toward he back of the machine, it has a white insert...anyone know what that is and should it be connected to anything?

Also upon inspection of the machine I found so far 3 sets of blue and brown wires that have connectors, but are not connected to anything.

there are 2 sets, i just found a third set up on the frame, just before rear tire.

I also found another set up at the handle bar area one black and one red wire..not sure what that is...

any help would be much appreciated.
Ron

Old 09-25-2013, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

Not sure which ones are it, but one set are for an auxiliary headlight, according to my manual. I just happened upon it last week and read that.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks..I did find the manual online, but it doesnt specify...is there also a set for a speedometer too?

Old 09-25-2013, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

One wire should go to speedo for the light inside of it.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

It sounds to me like that is the overflow tube for the carburetor. They typically have a one way valve to keep water from coming back up in them. Sounds like that may be what you are looking at.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:32 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

their is also a set of aux wiring at the back of the machine by the tool box... good reliable machine. goes any ware with a set of swamplites on it..

Old 10-01-2013, 10:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 97 prairie

Thank you for the feed back. My carb will hopefully cleaned out and back to me soon. I brought to a local guy that's good with those things. he said it was all gummed up so hopefully she runs good. As far as the wiring goes, I called a couple service places and they said that the same wiring harness is used in multiple models of machines...one guy said just go along and test them if they have power or what not..but I was just concerned if they were supposed to be connected to each other.

anyone have any good pics of custom install of a winch? or know of a relatively reasonably priced mount for one?

Ron

Old 10-02-2013, 06:31 AM
Pro Rider
Exclamation

I can tell you the only way to really mount a winch is on a plate that sticks out the front. They didn't put much thought into where a winch will go back then (unlike now where they all are designed with that in mind). Harbor Freight has good price on both plate and on a 1 ton winch if you are thinking economical.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

John
I did see that item at harbor freight im also getting ramps. The ramps/winch/plate is gonna cost me 100.00 with the coupon i have. Im definately going that route. I have seen some pictures but ill be able to wing it i guess. Your right. They werent thinking about winches back then
Ron

Old 10-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

i just looked at the ramps that im sure you were looking at.. I would stay away from them they are only 1000lbs combined weight. I had a set very similar that was just under 1200 combined weight and you could see them bend under the weight of the 400 and i found them slippery and im running new swamp lites tires. I went with something similar to the trifolds much better ramp. I went with a portable winch on mine.. I like it i can put it any ware to pull me out.. One of these days im going to put a LED light bar under where the stock lights are and take out the stock lights and mount my winch in their. Im also toying with the idea of mounting it facing down and running the cable down to the skid plate and running it out down their using a ****** block to redirect. Then i can have my pulling power low

Quick Reply: 97 Prairie 400