Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Kawasaki 220 bayou wheels bearing question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 08:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kawasaki 220 bayou wheels bearing question.

Okay so i have a new to me 220 to fix up so bear with me as I have a question or 20.

The wheels have play side to side if you grab them and wiggle at the 12 and 6 o" clock position with the wheels off the ground. You can hear an audible clunk when you do this.
I pulled one drum and both bearings were fine but the bearing on the inside of the drum fell out of the drum. It seems the play I am feeling/hearing is the looseness of the inner bearing in the hub. I looked at a few videos to see if this was normal and from what I can see the answer is no. I am not sure how they all were worn like this but since it seems to be all of them I need to ask if this is normal and I do not need to buy new drums. If it is not normal I might be able to shim fix them but my bigger question is what to do so this does not happen often.

What do you think?

Old 04-01-2018, 03:29 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

I don't do many Kawasakis, but 2WD Hondas have the same problem. I once tried boring out and fitting a thinwall tube, to bring it back to standard, drum snapped about 12 months later, and yes, I had radiused the bottom of the hole to prevent stress there. So have Loctited the bearings in since then, or sourced a new drum if the play is too bad.

Old 04-01-2018, 02:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Merryman
I think one way or the other I can make a temporary fix but the hubs are cheap enough used I will grab a couple and see how I do at the ebay lottery.
I was just wanting to make sure this was not something that they all do and I am trying to fix normal.