Bayou 220 starter solenoid options - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Go Back  ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community > Brand Discussions Area > Kawasaki
Reload this Page >

Bayou 220 starter solenoid options

Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Bayou 220 starter solenoid options

Old 05-14-2018, 09:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Bayou 220 starter solenoid options

Hey guys, got a question. I have a 98 bayou 220. I keep going through these starter solenoids. I have gotten three of these cheap ones off ebay and they work for about a year and then they konk out. I looked at getting an oem one but those things are like $100. Trying to avoid dropping that much cash. As I understand, this solenoid is pretty much a magnetic switch. There are the two big wires from the battery and to the starter that bolt down on top , and three wires coming from the pigtail connector. Im no electric genius, but is there a way to get like a 5 pin relay and wire it in place of this solenoid? Or some other solution aside from me going through these solenoids? Thanks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Starter-Sol...IAAOSw7ThUiGn9

Old 05-15-2018, 02:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

You could, with a bit of work, fit a genuine Honda 420 solenoid at $18.85, but at $5 a pop it is easier just to keep fitting the cheapo Chinese. If your solenoid starts to stick engaged, it can be a sign of a battery with a cell down.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'd be interested in trying out that honda 420 solenoid. I see it only has two wires coming off it in a pigtail. How would I configure it with the three wires that the kawi has? Tia

Old 05-16-2018, 02:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

With your old solenoid still connected, find out which thin wire is live (positive) all the time. Check it goes dead when you pull the fuse. This is your live feed to ignition switch, so join this wire through an in-line fuse holder connected to battery positive post. This will now feed the ignition switch via a fuse, that is how Honda do it. The other two wires are connected, either way round, to the thin Honda solenoid wires.