Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Help with 2000 Kawasaki 220 bayou starter solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 10:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 2000 Kawasaki 220 bayou starter solenoid

I have a 2000 220 bayou. am I suppose to have 12 volts on both sides of the solenoid. that's right by the battery it's connected to the battery and the other wire runs down and grounds to the engine I got 12volts on the side where the battery connects to the starter motor solenoid but I don't on the side were it grounds to the engine at first I did have 12v on the side that goes to engine ground but I had to replace it cause I crossed the terminals trying to start it cause the push button wont work but it was turning over great so now I Got a new one and when I was hooking it up I found my ground wire for my lights so I hooked them up so I got my headlights working, my neutral light working iv been trying to get this thing running. it set up for a few years I got 12volts to the ignition coil and the white wire but I don't know if its getting spark cause I don't have anyone to help me check and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance and I'm trying to get it running for my Vietnam vet dad but I can't seem to ;/

Old 11-01-2014, 02:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey any body

Old 11-01-2014, 03:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

I am planning on by passing the push start button. I'm gonna mount a switch to the Handle bar. The switch has 3 male connecters they are ground, power and a auxiliary I think il have to look again but putting the female clamps on the three wires then putting the other female clamps on them and then wiring the button firing run a wire to the starter more right wire ther power goes to it bolt a connector to the wire going ing the starter then run the wire to the switch and plug it to the on acc ( that's what's on mine) then run a ground to the block or neg battery I have mine one engine ground then ran the wire to the switch and plug it to the ground/ earth. Then run a power wire to the battery then run it back to the switch. Now you should have a push button start you can use any switch but you can push the switch and it will turn your atv over. If you push button was bad.

Old 11-02-2014, 03:11 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Don't do it. Unless you are very good at auto electrics you will end up in trouble, and if you were you wouldn't be asking for help. Some Kawasakis have complex starting circuits involving two starter solenoids, not sure about the 220, and almost all quads have a "lock out" so you can only start in neutral or with the brake on, you have to take these into consideration. If your switch is bad, some can be taken to pieces and cleaned.
Basic tests on the starter circuit are, put a test lamp between the starter lead and earth, switch on, press the starter, if the lamp lights but the starter doesn't turn, your starter is bad, probably just needs new brushes. If it doesn't light the fault is elsewhere. If the solenoid clicks but no light, it is probably faulty, if it doesn't click it could still be the solenoid or the push button switch, the wiring or the "lock out" circuit or switch, so get it checked by an auto electrician.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey merryman, I haven't asked one time about hooking up a after market switch. I'm a certified small engine mechanic and motorcycle and atv but that don't mean I know everything about every bike and or bike/atv but I didn't appreciate how you said if I was on here then basically I don't know anything but I hooked that aftermarket pushbutton start and it cranked up but now I'm working on finding where this other wires I found by the lower handle bars il just have to look at the wiring diagram. Buy hey thanks for the wane king there is some people that don't understand wiring and how a engine worked but the 220 only has one starter solenoid i cleaned the start button kill switch lights rebuilt carb starter is good and the look out works it does have it I got a new solenoid my lights works my neutral light works mow I'm cleaning all the connecters to be safe

Old 11-03-2014, 05:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey merry man what atv's do you have ???

Old 11-03-2014, 05:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

Buy hey I really do appreciate letting me know bud I had put it on earlier today but I gotta look a the wiring diagram cause there's some wires unplugged so i turned it of when I seen the open wire in front of the handle bares if i cant find my diagram il need help unless I find another 2000 220 bayou and look what's your email il send u the pics of the wires

Old 11-04-2014, 03:09 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

I just work on ATVs, had a 220 in last week for a bent valve but can't remember having worked on one before. There isn't a Kawasaki dealer near us any more so I mostly work on Hondas and Suzukis. In your first post "am I suppose to have 12 volts on both sides of the solenoid" led me to think you were not familiar with electrics. I worked on a 400 Kawasaki a while ago and there were lots of spare connectors on the loom, I guess Kawasaki must have used the same loom for a few models. I would get a diagram, and go from there.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm still having trouble that bypass start switch I just took it off cause I think I may just try cleaning the on/ off and start button but is the power to the starter coming from the starter motor solenoid that's by the battery or is it the yellow wires that go down by the starter I hate Kawasaki's built this ones free and I'm sure it'll run if I can get help I wish I had some one in Arkansas area on here I also got some open wires is there any one who has a 220 that can look at there's and tell me which wires this plug in to I can email u the pics of the wires there in front of the handle bars there's like 4 or 5 I can't remember like a red, green black, 2 black with yellow if I remember right il have to email the pic it's not the head light it might be the wires for when u hold the brake to start it and a couple more if u have a 220/250/300 or any bayou and can look at your wires for me and tell me send me your email mine is stevenwheeler497@ymail.com