Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

KLF220A pulling my hair out, no spark

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2023, 02:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KLF220A pulling my hair out, no spark

Hey all, new member, I just joined here hoping I can find some help, I’m always happy to help others but this time I’m at a complete loss. I’ll try to explain all this as best I can.

I got this 94 220 Bayou doing some trading, the guy said it had quit running, and they couldn’t figure out what was up so he robbed some parts for another one and this one just sat in his shed. So it has not run in years. It was missing the flywheel rotor with the ring gear. I replaced the stator. The factory pickup ohms out to spec, generates ac current (.6 vac), I have an Amazon and a used oem cdi, the original oem smoked when I hooked up the battery, safety relay and starter relay are new. Neutral safety is working. It will crank with the button. But nothing I have done will get this this to excite the coil. I have an oem and Amazon coil. Neither really ohm within the spec but I’m tired of thinking I’ve found the problem and buying another part, so I’ve just been checking for a pulse at the green wire to the coil. I’ve ohmed the wires, checked voltages, used jumpers to get grounds, and I can’t seem to come up with anything. I have been doing electrical troubleshooting for years but this thing has worn my brain out. I cannot figure out what I am missing. Sorry I know this is long winded but I have spent hours with this and am just about at a loss, I’m sure it’ll be simple but I’m at my wits end… thanks in advance

Old 08-28-2023, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Does the stator you put in match the old stator? same amount of bars and windings? is flywheel same brand that came off of this atv?

Old 08-28-2023, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider

Also if voltage regulator is over changing it can blow other parts

Old 08-29-2023, 02:38 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 342 Likes on 333 Posts

I have found two totally different wiring diagrams on the net, one for DC and one for AC so it is just possible Kawasaki changed from one to t'other. This would throw things wildly out, if you fitted a stator for DC to a machine wired for AC, or the other way round.

Old 09-09-2023, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider

Did you get issue fixed?

Old Yesterday, 10:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When comparing a foil shaver vs. a rotary shaver, the choice depends on your shaving needs and skin type. Foil shavers have straight, oscillating blades covered by a thin metal layer, offering a close and precise shave, ideal for sensitive skin and straight hair growth patterns. and foil shaver vs rotary with their circular blades and flexible heads, are better suited for shaving around contours like the chin and neck, making them great for coarse hair and multidirectional growth. Both types offer unique advantages, so the best choice depends on your preferences and shaving habits.