Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Clunking noise adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2001, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a clunking noise since day one with my 650 when getting on and off the gas. It is the loudest when in low range and on rough trails. Seems to sound like its coming from the transmission. I have read posts that seem to indicate that this can be corrected by adjusting the shifter linkage. Im just curious if anyone has had this problem fixed by having their linkage adjusted? If this did fix your noise can you tell me if the linkage was loosened or tightened and approx how much.
Thanks.

Old 08-27-2001, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

Same problem for me and I spent 3 hours carefully and methodically adjusting the linkage per the service manual. It didn't help. Someone had mentioned shimming the rear end. I haven't done anything since then and am waiting for other ideas.

Thanks.

Old 08-27-2001, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider

Jeff, thanks for saving me the time and aggrevation of trying to adjust something that wont work. I sort of thought that it didn't make any sense but wasnt sure. It must be a normal sound because Alot of people seem to be complaining about it. I was even able to try my dealers demo to see if it made the same noise and it did.

Old 08-27-2001, 06:07 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is doing the same thing, I do not consider this to be a problem! Come to thing of it, my previous quad had a similar clunking under certain riding conditions. I am not concern about it. I do have 500km on this quad and I must say that this quad has to be the best machine that I have owned so far. I ride with several other fine machines ei: Sportsman 500HO, Honda Rubicon, Bombardier Traxter and one Polaris Ranger, all of which perform very well. It sure is great to have such deversified machines that matches our needs so correctly!