Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

650 belt deflection question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2001, 09:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 650 tries to creep ahead when it is idling in gear. This would point to my belt being too tight (I assume) but when I checked my deflection it was 1.5". Any ideas ? Also can you see how many spacers are in the pulley without splitting it in half ? I was hearing some strange noises from the ebc on top of the side cover. It was like a rattle noise like something was loose. After driving for awhile it seemed to go away.

Old 10-13-2001, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

I agree that you have symptoms of belt tightness, and that the 1.5" deflection seems odd. Could you tell us the exact method you used to measure the belt deflection? Did you make sure to spin the drive pulley until the belt was all the way to the top? There is no way to know how many spacers you have without splitting it. I had one stock, others have had two. Is your idle speed to high?

Old 10-13-2001, 11:02 PM
Trailblazer

I spun the pulley around several times but I'm not sure if the belt was all the way to the top.I'll have to check again to make sure.

Old 10-14-2001, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

If ATV creeps in forward when just idling...
Two possibilities come to mind. Too tight belt or EBC fork/finger is pressing against the driving clutch/pulley too hard (so that belt is jammed inside the sheaves). If it's the latter case, the EBC potentiometer might have lost the home position somehow. It needs to be manually homed by applying the voltage or need a new EBC assy.

Old 10-14-2001, 08:11 PM
Trailblazer

mudseeker
how long have you had your 650?
how long did it take before this occurred? can you give me the hours from the hour meter.

Did this start happening after you removed the CVT cover & reinstalled it?
And if so did you turn the ignition switch on & off with the CVT cover off?

Old 10-14-2001, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

extremelean,
What's your thinking about the ignition swich while the cover is off?
Thanks.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-14-2001, 10:47 PM
Trailblazer

extremelean,
I got my 650 two weeks ago and I have 18 hours on it. It started making the noise with about 16 hours on it and 230 km (before I opened the side cover). When I stop it sounds like something in the ebc control on the side cover is sticking on. It's like a rattle for a few seconds and is different than the normal servo motor sound. Also I didn't turn the key on while I had the cover off.

Old 10-14-2001, 11:26 PM
Trailblazer

Is it a squeeling noise you hear?
It may be possible that the bearing for your KEBC on the drive converter may be or has failed.Have it checked.

jeffoxsr
If you have the CVT cover off with the actuator & Belt Failure Detection switch plugged in & you turn on the ignition switch & turn it off.....the actuator might cycle around to a dead spot in the potentiometer and hold the KEBC forks in a fully extended position, In this case you would have resistance when trying to put the CVT cover back on(like it was spring loaded).To correct this you would have to unplug the actuator connector and apply 12 Volts to the RED an the BLACK lead entering the actuator until the KEBC forks are at full rest against the inside of the CVT cover,Then reinstall cover & plug connectors back in.....ALL FIXED.
SO needless to say "DONT TURN YOUR IGNITION SWITCH ON WITH THE COVER OFF & WIRES PLUGGED IN".

Old 10-14-2001, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the education![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I have run the bike on jack stands with the cover off and the ignition obviously on. If I encounter the situation you mentioned I will know what to do now.
Thanks.

Old 10-15-2001, 09:28 AM
Trailblazer

extremelean,
It's more of a clicking rattle sound and not a squeal. I have heard the noise while driving slow up hills and while making turns. It is definitely coming from the ebc on top of the side cover. I guess I'll have to drive the 1 1/2 hours to my dealer and let them look at it. The scary part is they never even had the belt cover off a 650 before so I don't have a lot a faith that it will get fixed.

Quick Reply: 650 belt deflection question