Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

650 valve tap after 11 hours

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2001, 01:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought my 650 two weeks ago and so far it has been great. This weekened though I noticed somehting that does not seem right. I started my ATV in the morning and took a ride around my property for about twenty minutes and went back into the house for breakfast, when I came back out and started it up again I noticed a tapping coming from the engine. The tap sounds like a valve and I know it was not doing this before. The motor started doing this at about 11 hours (85 miles), but only does it at idle and goes away after a minute or so of riding, but if you let it sit for a few and start it back up its there again. I didn't abuse it during break in and still haven't. Does anyone else have this tapping, its coming from the front cylinder? I have thirteen hours now and I am afraid to use it until I can have it looked at, I don't want to do anymore damage. This is my first kawaski so I don't know if this is normal or not. Should I take it back to the dealer, will warranty repair this if it is needed?

One more thing, those plastic covers that I see on the racks, are they an option or am I suppose to have them? I have seen them on every 650 escept for mine. Thanks.

Old 10-15-2001, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

I can't help you on the engine noise, but my 650 has the plastic pieces on the racks. When the dealer first got in the 650, the dealer called me and asked if I wanted a hitch installed. I said yes and he also said that he put on a set of rack covers for free. So apparantly they didn't come on the quad, but came separate.

Old 10-15-2001, 02:05 PM
Trailblazer

i was lucky enough to see mine come out of the shipping crate those were the only pieces that had to be assembled as far as i could tell

Old 10-15-2001, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

THE TAPPING IS THE PLASTIC FORK THAT COMPRESSES THE SHEAVES TO PUT TENSION ON THE BELT SO YOU CAN HAVE ENGINE BRAKING. MINE DOES IT TO AT IDLE, BUT IF I GAS IT A LITTLE IT STOPS. DONT WORRY IT IS JUST A LITTLE PLAY AND VIBRATION AGAINST THE BELT HOUSING. I WAS WORRIED WHEN MINE DID IT, BUT THE DEALER CHECKED IT AND THAT WAS WHAT IT WAS.AND YES YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO HAVE THOSE PLASTIC RACK COVERS, IF THE DEALER GIVES TO ANY FLACK, JUST CALL CUST. SERVICE AT 949-460-5688.

Old 10-16-2001, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

Tapping sound...
Only thing that comes to my mind as for the cause is the low oil level, especially if the noise goes away as you ride away. This model doesn't have hydraulic valve adjuster (it's got conventional screw/nut adjuster) and the valve noise does not go away when you rev up the engine. See if there is any oil residue accumulated at the bottom of the air box as well...

Plastic rack covers. I can't believe dealers are acting like they are doing a big favor to customers when they install them at no charge! The Prairie 650s come with the plastic rack covers, folks!!! Just they are not installed at the factory and ship separately to dealers!!! Dealers are supposed to install them on the vehicles before they sell!!! The reason that they are not installed at the factory is the total vehicle weight (same reason for the no tow hitch) when they ship. Read ATV magazines. It's all there!

Old 10-16-2001, 04:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just talked to my dealer about the rack covers and they tell me that they cost extra, and that they do not ship with the ATV. I did not believe him so I called Kawasaki and the customer service rep told me that they are an accessory and are not included with the 650. He said that if others got them without paying, then the dealers are just throwing them on for free. I guess my dealer is not gonna give them to me for free.

Hayashi, my oil level is fine I check it everday. My airbox does have an oil residue at the bottom, I remember seeing it when I had the air cleaner out on Saturday. What does this mean?

Old 10-16-2001, 06:45 PM
Trailblazer

I just picked up my 650 Saturday and the dealer gave me the box that had the plastic rack covers in it. I ask them when I got there if it was supposed to have them and they said yes but they just had not put them on yet.

Old 10-16-2001, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

evilmd,
Plastic Rack Cover: If you are talking about the black plastic one with oval shape design on top, you are being ripped off by your selling dlr. I got mine free and all other 650 owners are getting them free at no charge. Call Kawasaki one more time and describe the rack more precisely. There is an accesory rack extension and could be a misunderstanding. Then have Kawasaki directly call your dlr and have the situation straightened out. Just don't be ripped off!!!

Tapping noise: If oil level is fine, it could just be a normal piston slapping noise which is common on short stroke engine - excessive side to side movement of piston as it goes up and down (relatively short stroke, 63 mm).

Oil residue in air box: If your oil level is correct, then there is nothing much you can do about this. As long as it doesn't become a "puddle of oil" situation, there is no serious permanent damage done on the engine (galling could occur). Just clean them off once in a while and make sure your oil level is set right (with the cap screwed IN). The oil residue/mist is coming from crankcase via the vent tube and gets collected at the bottom of the air box. And don't do a wheelie! It will make the situation worse.

Old 10-17-2001, 01:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

Mine came with the plastic rack covers. Dealer said they were part of the machine. The only thing I paid extra for was the hitch that was put on before delivery. I took mine off because they rattled.

BTW.... Had some serious fun the last full moon. At about midnight my brother and I went for a ride to our friend's very large and hilly hay field. It was such a bright moon and the skies were clear that we turned off the lights and blasted around for an hour. It was surreal doing jumps at night without lights on.

Old 10-17-2001, 09:43 PM
poe
Weekend Warrior

the tapping noise is present in mine until it warms up, then its gone. its only a slight tap and nothing to be alarmed about. i dont think its a serious issue.

now as for the rack covers---let me tell you---they are provided free of charge. i am lucky enough to know my dealer very well and i helped unload mine out of the steel crate. i also unwrapped the box that contained the covers. it had a note on the front that said, "make sure these accessory covers are given complimentary to new owner.kawasaki is dedicated to customer satisfaction."----so i know they are free---print a copy of this and show your dealer as he will surely be embarrassed. make sure your salesman is out of the ring and talk to the owner.make sure he knows of your frustration.

Quick Reply: 650 valve tap after 11 hours