Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

650 WINCH

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2001, 03:50 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My winch and plow came in I noticed the lable on warn box said made for yamaha. I told the sale guy you got the wrong box he replies no wiches are all the same. I get this thing home it has yamaha all over it. I just think he had some people who did not take there $69 winch from yamaha and he is tring to make a few extra bucks on me. What do you guys think? I think I am going to take it back.

Old 11-25-2001, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider

I thought they are pretty much the same, with the exception of the mount plate. Hopefully, none of the wires are specifically made for the Yam, and the fasteners are all there. I would be pretty sure that it would fit, assuming you got the kawasaki mount plate.

I feel for you man, yamaha ATV's are made cheaper made than your Kawasaki. You paid good money for a Kawasaki and don't want any Yamaha parts on it.

Old 11-25-2001, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

Nyroc is correct....There is no difference in the winch itself. I have not looked a the mounting plate for a Yamaha but there probably are a few differences. If the Yamaha stickers bother you take it back, if they dont, peel them or black them out.

Old 11-26-2001, 06:09 PM
Range Rover

It does bother me to have Yamahaha on my Woblsaki. Damit I bought a kawi not a yamahaha. I will return it next week and get a plain one or up grade to 2500. Maybe Im just picky but it is my ride.

Old 11-26-2001, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

Now that you mention it, I do like my 2500 kit a lot better, not that 500 lbs makes a diff, but the relay is far superior. I took the switch out of the handheld thing than warn gives you, and mounted it right to the inside of my handlebar plastic.
See http://home.rochester.rr.com/yalsprus/winchbutton.jpg

There is no second switch, just this one, and I wired it independent of the ignition.

I like it very much.

Forgot to mention, I put the relay under right rear fender, mounted to the fender support arm. It gets mud on it, but is very out of the way of other stuff (especially the tire). Warn gives you more than enough wire for this.

Yamahaha? YamaYahoo?

Old 12-04-2001, 10:48 AM
Range Rover

I took it back trade 2000 for 2500 75 bucks for 500 extra pounds, roller and remote not bad. Roller alone was 40 bucks! I was asured yamahaha would not be on new one.

Old 12-04-2001, 10:50 AM
Range Rover

nyroc Did you glue that swith?

Old 12-04-2001, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

Yes. I applied goof off to the inside of that cover to remove dirt and grime. I removed the front half of the cover. I used goop (marine flavor) that I bought at home depot due to its flexibility and extra high strength. I covered the switch with goop to keep it and the connections dry. I used a lot, using too little goop might have allowed it to come off. I sanded the area a little bit too.

I used a wood clamp to hold it in place. Goop runs very slowly while drying, so I came back to it every 30 minutes to pull the glue back where I wanted it. It would have been a little nicer if I had removed the panel and laid it flat, but I had already secured the wires so I had no room to do it.

It looks great from the outside, but inside there is a gob of glue all over and around the switch. I feel that it was a good choice. I can still remove the switch by yanking, cutting or grinding while being careful with the plastic.

Old 12-06-2001, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

NYROC
Do you have pic where you mounted the relay winch.
did you get the mounting bracket for the 2500 winch .It will bolt up without it but looks better with it plus protects winch more .I have pic if needed e mail me at tampavii@aol.com
GB in NJ

Old 12-07-2001, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

http://atv.dnsalias.com/atv/prairie6...dir=&pic=8

It shows you on this page how I mounted it. Click the "Next" arrow to see the other view of it.

I have posted all my 650 pictures in one location. Click the next and back arrows to scroll through all of them.

Go to http://atv.dnsalias.com to see the rides I went on. The 650 was not in them much due to the fact that I took most of the photos.

I am not a real web designer, but I wrote the scripts that show off those pictures myself. I am getting a sore elbow from patting myself on the back for it. Anyone that wants the scripts can get them from me. Some ISPs allow cgi scripts, home web servers using apache, IIS, Lotus Notes, and more can easily run cgi scripts. Heck, it looks like this forum is a cgi script, but whoever did it is way smarter at it than me.

Quick Reply: 650 WINCH