Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Prairie Closes ATVNEWS' poll and embarrasses editors

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 06:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This should be the headlines since the last time the poll was available the prairie had a good 11% over the 700 Lead Sled that they voted as ATV of the Year. They took down the poll. When the public speaks and your advertising dollars are going to be hurt I guess you have to get rid of it....LOL, once again the Prairie 650 has beat the Polaris 700 and this time it did not have to start its true Twin

Old 01-31-2002, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

The Prairie 650 put a hurting on ATVNews. They changed their POLL to some lame 1991 best sled vote,but their cover story is still that the Polaris 700 gets ATV of the year. Just as I thought,the Polaris website is sporting the "ATV of the year" logo. I guess Polaris gave'em more money than the rest of them,LOL!!

Old 01-31-2002, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider

The 700 is a poor pick for ATV of the year, since it really has very little new over the the sp500. Not that it is not a fine ride, just not much change, and not the fastest, nor the funnestn nor the best handling. It is not the best at most stuff except for twoing capacity. My friend called to ask me which ATV magazine to subscribe to. After this bout of stupid with ATV news, I told him not to get ATV news.

The Prairie is much more inovative. 8 valve V-twin, diff control, sealed brake, KEBC.
The grizzly is even more inovative and deserves more attention than polaris.
That suzuki thing, the vinson, I believe even deserves more attention than the SP700.

I know everybody has a right to their oppinion, but sometimes I wonder where do some of those magazine get their writers and editors? Sometimes they write as if they really haven't had the chance to step outside of their own front yard, never been outside their own town.

Old 01-31-2002, 02:26 PM
Trailblazer

grizzly is better then both of them.

Old 01-31-2002, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider

I would have picked either the prairie or the cannondale. The 700 was essentially the same as a 500ho except for a bigger motor. If the 700 had say efi and 4 wheel engine braking, then I could maybe understand it. The only thing that was innovative on the grizz was the diff locker.

The prairie has the diff locker, wet rear brake, dual piston front caliper brakes, lowered gas tank, v-twin motor, adjustable footpegs....
Basically a lot of improvements and things never seen seen before on an atv.

Old 01-31-2002, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

Johnpaul,
would you mind backing up your statement as to why the Grizzly is better.

Old 01-31-2002, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

I placed my vote for the Kawi but I wont go as far as to say the 700 isnt a nice machine. I think there are too many differences between the Kawi and Polaris to really make it an arguement. Just because they both are large displacement 4x4 machines doesnt mean they should be compared. I think its very fair to compare the Griz and the 700 but the 650 is in my opinion more Scrambler oriented. The Griz and 700 are utility machines or at least a utility/sport where the 650 is more of the sport/utility. I know that seems to be splitting hairs but just a few years ago any of these 3 would have been a utility, period. I dont think any 650 owner would argue that the IRS would be better for a rock crawler and better for a VERY serious mudder. The 650 is an excellent ride that gives a sportier feel than the IRS quads. Only time will tell which 1 is going to really be the best quad. I have no regrets about my 650 and would buy another without a second thought.

For what its worth I would have been happy with any of the 3. For where and what I ride I got the best quad for ME.

Old 01-31-2002, 11:24 PM
Trailblazer

in my area the prices are 6400 for 650 and 6800 for the grizz. had a choice to buy the one i thought was the best and i bought the 660.
few reasons
plow deal $69
meanest looking quad
no lift needed for any size tires
nice locker
yamaha is a leading edge company
litmted editions silver
nice gauges
handles real nice and it's fast
easy to work on with the high fenders
idp rear end
ground clearance
nice racks
detuned raptor motor
great suspensions
draws a crowd

Old 01-31-2002, 11:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

I kind of like my my Suzuki thing,not that anybody give's a rat's a$$,and it draw's a pretty good crowd too. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-01-2002, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider

Hey coconut. I like the looks of the new Vinson. From what I have read it's a pretty good quad and suzuki machines have a proven reliability record. I had a suzuki 250 fwd for four years and it never let me down. When I started saving money for a new quad I read everything on all the big dogs, and decided on the prairie 650. I it in a week and can hardly wait!! The reasons I chose this machine have already been expressed by the other guys on this topic.
V-twin
sealed rear brake
diff lock
low CG
2wd-4wd option
kick *** looks!!
I'm really looking forward to wheeling with my buddies when I get this thing!! Keep the rubber side down guys!! Later

Quick Reply: Prairie Closes ATVNEWS' poll and embarrasses editors