Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Which Utility ATV???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you could buy "any" top end, big bore utility atv, without consideration for price, which one would you get? Granted the Prarie has an advantage in the performance department, but without that performance advantage, which one?

I'm interested in using it for snow plowing, hunting, and an occasional trail cruise. My 400SS and SP500 are now both up for sale and I'm looking to get a new fat utility ride that is dependable. I don't want to spend a zillion $$$$ modifying, adding tires, wheels, clutch kits, pipes, etc. I want something off the floor that looks good, handles and rides nice and does the job. Snow plowing is of prime importance. In fact, I'm probably going to have to do something about eliminating the reverse rev limiter in any machine, since it is a real drawback to plowing.

I'm considering: Honda Rubicon, Polaris SP700, Grizz 660, Prarie 650, and the Quest 650.

Thoughts . . .

Jack Schultz
jackschultz@adelphia.net
www.godigital-design.com/schultzmotorsports

Old 02-14-2002, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

grizzly 660. it is fast, smooth, strong, light weight, nimble, and even jumpable. it has everything you would want in a big quad, without the weight.

my pictures

Old 02-14-2002, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider

Since you posted this in the Kawi forum, the results maybe just a tad bias. I myself did my own research before I bought (including test drives)and I bought the 650 and have not regreted it at all. I hate the feeling of "buyers remorse" and I can honestly say there was no remorse after buying the 650.

Old 02-14-2002, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

Based on your needs, I think you left out one quad that would fill the bill very nicely. That would be the Traxter! It is heavy, but for what you are talking about that shouldn't be a problem. It has the ability to run in the "true 4WD" mode, and has a manual shift tranny, which would probably be better for plowing. Plus the underside of the Traxter is very smooth. It slides over deep snow/mud better than any other quad I have ever ridden with! I figure that it would be worth considering for what you want.

Rick

Old 02-14-2002, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

Jack, my buddy loves his rubicon, but he says it lacks a lot of spunk due to the hydraulic transmission. Depends on how much you ride for recreation. The seat is not as comfortable as the grizzly or prairie.

My other friend loves his grizzly 660. I think the grizzly is an awesome machine for recreation, trails, rocks, mud. However, if you intend to use the grizzly for heavier work, I advise against it. It seems a very large number of farmers that have grizzlys have their fuel tanks boil on them, enigne heat boils off smaller fuel molecules first. It smells bad and scares the heck out of them, but no injuries yet. Also, the brakes are not as good as the prairie, front or rear. A lot of plowing, towing people do not like IRS. The softer suspension makes my friend's 660 bob up and down more when he raises an lowers the plow. The 660 is not that great of a pick for mainly work.

If you never plan to get tires, gon't get the 650, it has the worst tires. With good tires, the prairie is a great all around choice. The prairie produces a lot more low rpm torque than the 660, much better for pushing snow. From a longevity standpoint, a twin cylinder is going to be more durable that a single big bore, much less total expansion and contraction of the piston. The 650 is a lot quieter than the 660. The 650 does not shake. I can see the engine of my friends grizzly 660 shaking parts of his quad all the time.

Overall I would suggest you get the 650 with some tires. I know nothing about quests.

Old 02-18-2002, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

I'm getting it narrowed down. I think I will pass on the SSP700 and go with either the Grizz 660 or the Prairie 650. I'm leaning toward the Kawi right now. I do have some concerns. One is the weak front springs. With a winch and heavy Moose 60" plow blade, it needs help. I've read where the dealers can get "heavy duty" springs for both front and back. I'm wondering if anyone has tried them? I had to use rubber spring spacers in my Sp500 to help with this.

You mentioned the tires. That seems to be a given with the 650, those Dunlops are not going to do it. I'm thinking of putting a Hi-Lifter lift kit and going with some of the 28" Outlaw tires or the ITP 589M/S alongwith the new ITP cast alum. wheels. Did you have to use wheel spacers with your mud tires to prevent rubbing? Lift kit?

One last concern. Has anyone tried to re-wire the reverse rev limiter switch so you don't have to use it when backing up. It sure helps to do this when snow plowing. I had to do my SP500 a few years ago and thought that this would help the Prairie also.

I case some are wondering why I left the SP700 out, it was the engine braking or rather the "extreme" engine braking system that Polaris uses. I hate it. I had removed the EBS clutch from my SP500 and instaleld a standard clutch along with an Aaen Roller secondary. It give about 60% of what EBS did and worked very, very well. Polaris missed the mark here pretty badly. The only problem is that this gets pretty expensive, and I didn't want to get into all that again.

I left the Quest out for the parts situation on Bombardier products here in NW PA. It's bad, very bad according to my source.

Tires, wheels, maybe a pipe and jet kit is about all this one is going to see (Grizz or Prarie) Then again, when they start to come out with some clutching changes for the Prarie, well . . . maybe. I see where Erlandson has clutch springs, but I'll be they only "increase" the engagement rpm, which is not the way to go.

I've not made my final choice yet, but hope to get there over the next few weeks. I'm going to ride both the Grizz and Prarie next weekend and see what happens.

Any thoughts on the front and rear springs / reverse rev limiter?