Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

a/f screw

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2002, 01:25 PM
mgp
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which way is which? Lean, rich?

I'm a poet and don't know it!

Oh, I posted a while back before Christmas with my Lakota hesitation. I'm the one with the friend that fixed my overflow float problem then got hesitation. Anyway, before I take the carb apart (yeah, just got some more time finally to work on it) I'm gonna mess with the a/f screw.

Mike
GA
'98 Lakota

Old 02-16-2002, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider

Clock wise is lean, if you screw it all the way in, then turn it out 2 1/8 to 2 1/4 this is the stock setting.
Before you tear the carb down take the clear hose off the top of the carb, put it on the bottom were the float bowl drain hose is, then make a "U" shape beside the carb with it. Open the float bowl drain screw and fuel will fill that hose and show you were the level of fuel is in the float bowl. It should be a good quarter inch below the seam were the float bowl meats the main body of the carb.
But list your mods and at aproximately were the hessitation is, 1/4, 1/2 or full throttle.

Old 02-16-2002, 03:14 PM
mgp
Weekend Warrior

This is getting too weird. I screwed it out (counter clockwise) a couple turns and it seems to run a lot better. I thought I had a rich condition. hmm?? The hesitation is when I blip the throttle from idle and it tends to want to bog for the first several seconds of wide open or anything above half throttle. Last time I was told the float level should come back up to the bottom of the seam where the float mates to the bottom of the carb. ??

Mike

Old 02-16-2002, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

Almost always you will find the float bowl level at the seam, but after your post last winter stebob had a problem so I went out and measured mine at the time and thats were it was!!
2 1/8 to 2 /14 turns out is were the stock setting is, mine is 2 1/2 because of the jet kit.
Many high performance gooroos say to turn it out until the idles ruff then turn it in untill the idles ruff then find that midle spot. I had the same problem as you and I played with it a while and cured it with adjusting the air/fuel mixture screw.
Hope some of this helped, but if thats all your problem I'm sure that adjustment will work, you just may have to trial an error it, but long as you stay close to stock, cold weather may affect this also!!

Old 02-17-2002, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Gaff! How goes it?

I ended up with my mixture screw about 3 turns out. Don't have the deceleration backfire now. I have have leaks I guess. I can't hear anything, but maybe I should pull it off and get some exhaust gasket maker.

Headed back to the Badlands tomorrow. Boy can't go, granma and papa are coming over. Papa wants to go to the Boat Sport and Travel show. I really don't want to go and my buddy called...so hey..I'm ridin!

I know you have told me this at least 3 times, but I can' remember. What are the dates of the Lorreta Lynn race? I'm gonna try to get some vacation time for it.

Old 02-17-2002, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

April 20-21st, I'm almost sure, The site is gnccracing.com.
Glad to hier from you again, mardi gras was a huge bizzy time for me, and I'm just sobering up!!

I hope you get to make it, I'm heading to fordsville,Kentucky march 24th to meet 98lakota up in his series, hopefully get a good feel for what I'm getting into!!!!
I ordered the PRM skids and hope to have the bore kit done next week.
Wish I could go riding today, but I'm going to go a couple days next week before I tear the top end down.

Things are going good, not sure I'll have everything on my wish list, but I'm not going to stress it, I'm just going to jump in and have fun, and do what I always do Learn and Live.

On that mixture screw I had to have mine out 3 to +3 turns, then I removed the exhaust and put some RTV high temp sealer on the joints. At this point I could tune the bottom end mutch better, I went back to 2 1/2 turns and now if I put a little thumb in the throttle when I take off the front end pops up about 4" and power comes rite off idle. So what I figure is the quad ran fine but the very small leaks I had made the bottom untunable, not to mention the back firing. now I have none to very little.
I have to paint my exhaust as well, it realy started to rust, but the rest of the quad looks like new.

Old 02-18-2002, 09:25 PM
mgp
Weekend Warrior

Ok I turned the screw all the way in, then backed out about 1 3/4-2 complete revolutions. When ya'll say turns, ya'll mean complete revolutions right? As in 360 degrees?

Ok well anyway the hesitation when I blip the throttle at idle is almost gone - keyword almost. It's there every now and then if I blip it off absolute bottom of idle. Also, at the point that offers least hesitation, I lose a bit of top end power (or really anything above half throttle).

So, my dilemma is hardly any hesitation with loss of upper rpm power or hesitation with good upper rpm power. It sounds kinda funny too, like a sort of holow sound in the upper rpms ans loss of power. Also, the quad has to get real hot before the idle will smooth out. but I just figure that's being cold natured.

Well that's as far as I got this weekend.

Old 02-18-2002, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

the cold nature of the lakota and a good warm up time, well I agree with your judgement and I'm sure everyone who owns one would agree also.

I'm pretty sure you are as close as you can get with stock jetting. two things could be factors, clean air filter and valve adjustment. Being that you have a 98 model, not sure the valves get out of speck to easy any more, as I found after the first couple adjustments thier on after it was always within toulerance. A dirty air filter could give you a bit of fit. If I was to guess, I would of said you would have been a half turn further than you got, and yes 360= 1 turn.

The improvements a jet kit makes is worth the cost, most bikes or quads show imperfections with thier stock jetting, and as you are finding making up for one circut, takes from another.
Sorry but this is as far as I believe I can help you to over the net and all. Try to consider a jet kit, it realy smooths it out and it will accellerate straight from the bottom.
Good luck!!!!

Old 02-18-2002, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

the mixture screw really only controls up to 1/8 throttle. The loss of upper rpm power shouldn't be controlled with the mixture screw. Make sure your filter is clean like Gaff said. May want to pull your carb out to and take all apart and clean it really well. What exactly did your buddy do to fix your float problem. The floats may be set incorrectly. Something could be hung up in there. I would tear it apart and see what you have.

Old 02-18-2002, 10:40 PM
mgp
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the input Gaff. It has helped me figure out a little of what's going on, so you have helped a lot. I will definitely get a jet kit sometime. I'll search for the best kit, but if you ahppen to be stopping by this post again, feel free to advise as to the make and model of kit I should get. My quad is all stock.

stebob, I will set some time aside one weekend to rebuild that carb. Guess I've got to dig in sometime, eh? Hehehe... That is very interesting and a great piece of info about the mixture screw only affecting the first 1/8 of the throttle?? Wow I didn't know that. Perhaps the difference in upper rpm power was at different operating temps or something. Hmm.

Thanks again, I'll work on it some more hopefully one weekend soon.