Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

"break-in" period???

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2002, 03:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats up everyone, just bought a new mojo and i was reading the manual allitle bit last night and i was reading how it recomends you not to go no further then halfway with the throttle or else you will end up with a messed up machine or something until you ride it after 10 hours...this is my first time with a new machine..if anyone would like to explain this better to me please do..i dont want to mess up my machine with the urge to go fast
thanks, matt

Old 02-17-2002, 04:15 PM
jdm
Trailblazer

Engines are extremely tight when manufactured. The breaking in means all of the parts wearing smooth to form tight seals in the metal to metal areas of your engine. The engine has to be broken in as recommended if you want it to last. I don't care what anyone tells you, the people who made the machine knows best.

Old 02-17-2002, 04:27 PM
Trailblazer

thanks for the input, i would also agree on you with the point on the people who built the machine know best.

Old 02-17-2002, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider

It really gets under my skin when I read a post about someones brand new bike drag racing or mud bogging in the first few hours they had it. I always expect to here back from them whining about how there pos fell apart when it was brand new.
Just do what the book says and leave your worries behind. these toys cost to much to drive like rentals.

Old 02-17-2002, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

My manual says 10 hours or 60 miles. DO they mean 10 hours or 60 miles, which ever comes first or what? I have 8 hours on mine and 77 miles, is this considered broken in, even though it doesn't have the full 10 hours on it? I wish I new, I guess I will consider it broken in, and go ahead and change my oil since I have more than the 60 miles on it. I’m ready to open it up a bit [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-17-2002, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

Remember to use conventional oil during the break-in period. Synthetic oil inhibits the "bedding" of rotational surfaces found on rod bearings and crankshaft. The idea is to wear away any imperfections in these surfaces.

Old 02-17-2002, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

I've been told even from professional engine builders that short bursts of full throttle acceleration (meaning 3-4 seconds) are good during break in. For an engine to break-in proper it needs to have a "load" put on it once in a while. Its also okay to lug it in a higher gear once in a while for a real short period. I broke in my mojave that way and even though it was hot out I always let it warm up a little before going. After about a day and a half of riding it I changed my oil and filter and then I began riding it a little harder for the next few hours before giving it too much hell. After about a week I changed the oil again and now she runs perfect. The only trouble I had was that one of my rubber boots wasn't attached to my airbox good and I couldn't see it so I swallowed a little too much dust and dirt went in and I had to put valves in and I replaced the piston and rings at the same time to be safe . There was even dirt particles in my head when I took it apart. You might want to check to make sure the boots are all on good before you do to much riding so you don't have a scrape like me.