Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

PolshingMojave Cases

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished putting back on my Stator cover on my Mojave. I took it off last nite to polish it. It came out great (Besides, the Black paint was chipping off) I used ZAR Paint stripper and then I rubbed it with fine steel wool. I then used some mothers Mag & Aluminum polish. Like I said it came out great, but it took a while. I would like to do the Clutch cover, Shift indicator cover, Water pump cover and cylinder. I know it will take a while, but does anyone know of anything to help speed up the process?? Ohh yea and I would like to create a homepage to show off my Mojave, any sugestions?? Thanks guys.

Old 02-19-2002, 02:06 AM
Range Rover

Kawi250:

You can make up a good website on geocities.com Check mine out. I don't know of anything that could help speed up the polishing maybe a small buffer or something like that. I would love to see your Mojave, I have been thinking of doing something sorta like that too. Do you think you could send me a few pics of your Mojave? My E-mail is Littbully@aol.com and the website is at the bottom.

Later

Old 02-19-2002, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try and make a page as soon as I hime. I have to take more pictures of it b/c I don't have any with the new axle yet. Also, I wish I could afford all the stuff I want, next on my list ar A-arms shocks and plastics, then I might be satisfied.

Old 02-19-2002, 03:40 PM
Range Rover

Kawi250:

I e-mail HSD Racing again and I will be buying those a-arms as soon as I have the money, they sound very good. This is what the guy told me.

We build custom widths so yes +1 +1.5 +2 +3 +4 anything you want dude. The shock base and bracket are both Hollow Structural Section and are the strongest
shock mount in the business, Strong Arms feature the mega tough X-brace near the frame pivot tubes.
The Mojave set features (4) premium ball joints that are- 1) "gold" dichromate metal plated, stops corrosion. 2) double wired on rubber boot, keeps dirt and water out. Camber adjustable on the upper ball joint. The kit includes (4) A-arms, (4) ball joints, (16) bushings, (8) sleeves and (2) tie rods.
We assemble the ball joints and press in the bushings before shipping...a true bolt on a-arm kit.
Arms are powdercoated in most colors, chrome powdercoat is no extra charge whateverText

Sounds good. What a-arms are you thinking of getting and what shocks. Goodluck with your website

Later

Old 02-19-2002, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

The bad thing with polishing it unless you plan on keeping after it it will oxidize and will turn very hazey. Unless you clear coat it or Powder coat it you will have to polish it all the time I did the same thing with all my covers on my 85 Magna but I own a powder coat system and I powder coated them clear I never have to polish agian just hose it of and done. I bought my powder coat system through Eastwood and I would say that that is one of the best investments I ever made. I use it all the time. I also restore automobiles it is fuel resistant and very durable, so it works great on aluminum intakes so they don't get stained. Just something to think about.

Old 02-20-2002, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info. I clean my quad pretty often, and I like to polish the bumper, Grab bar, wheels whenever I clean it, so I don't think that a few cases would be such a big deal, thanks thou.
Hossman, Those are the A-arms that I want, if I get them, they will be +3 (and maybe +1 foward.) Also, he reccomends Elka shocks, but I would just get the Arms first. He told me that it would sit lower and it would not be a problem until I upgraded the shocks.

Old 02-20-2002, 03:40 AM
Range Rover

Kawi250:

+3 that is wide do you race MX or anything like that. You said that it would be lower, is that because of the +3? I am going with +1 or +1.5 because I ride a lot in the woods so I don't want to be to wide. Do you think it will make the Mojave lower with +1 or +1.5. Also are you going to try and get more suspension travel or keep it stock and just upgrade the shocks. I think I am gonna keep mine stock and just get some nice shocks from works, does Elka have shocks for the Mojave? Do you have any suggestions about shocks, also how do you like those MSR Bars and your Maxxis Razr's.

Later

Old 02-20-2002, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider

monteSS, I checked out the eastwood site and was just curious as to which model of powdercoater you bought. I have many bikes that I have restored for myself or buddies. I recently bought a sandblaster so I can blast my own pieces. It cost 325 bucks to have my last frame bead blasted and powdercoated so I figure a sand blaster and powdercoating machine would pay for itself very quickly. Does the powdercoating make a huge mess? Do you need a booth? I think it would be an excellent investment. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-20-2002, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

No it is very easy to clean up it just sweeps up or blow it out the garage door. You should wear a mask while doing it though. You also need a dedicated ELECTRIC oven for doing it you can usually find one for free or real cheap for a few bucks. U can remove powder coat easier with Aircraft paint stripper than sand blasting. I've had to remove it when the clear has burnt a little and redo it the clear you have to watch it will turn golden. I have the standard gun not the one that is $800 mine works great if you want any other answers or pics of what it can do just e-mail me it is listed.

Old 02-20-2002, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

Hossman,
No I don't race MX, jus fast trails, but they are pretty wide, and I would like to start racing next year. I wouldn't want to spend all that money and only increase the width 1 inch on each side (I already have wheel spacers on the front end (3 inches total). I dont kno so much about the A-arms lowering it, but I think it is because of the shocks. If he builds them to accept longer ELKA shocks, and I use the stock ones, it would make it lower. When I put on the Elkas it would probally be back to stock height. And I looked at works shocks with rezzies and they are $489. The Elka's are probally not too much more, so I would just go for those. I really don't know that much about the shocks, so I would ask other people how they like their shocks. The MSR handle bars are great so far, I got them because they were the cheapest ones at my Yamaha dealer, but if I were to get new bars I think I would go with renthals, I hear great stuff about them (not that there is anything wrong with the MSR bars.) Also the Razr's are great tires, they slide very well and are great for snow, hard pack mud. The rears seem to wear pretty quickly though, only because I take hard turns on pavement (not a good idea), but off road they don't wear that much at all.

Quick Reply: PolshingMojave Cases