Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

ATV Magazine Shootout

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems funny to me that different mags have such different results when they compare all the big boys. When Dirt Wheels did their test between the Prairie and Grizz (Oct. 2001) the Prairie was the winner. When Dirt Wheels did their test of all the big bores (Jan. 2002) the Prairie and Grizz came out as close comparisons, but the Prairie was still tops.HHMMM. I see a pattern forming here! Anyways, in the All-Terrain Vehicle mag,(a Canadian rag) they voted the Kawi 3rd, after the Grizz 2nd and the Polaris first. Hello????? How can there be that much of a discrepancy? In the All-terrain rag, it states that one tester literally begged to be taken off of the Prairie as his arms were too sore from the effort required to turn this quad. What a girl!!! I find my 650 turns easily with little effort, especially if you're on the gas!! It all comes down to this. If you are thinking about buying a new quad, GO AND RIDE THEM ALL!! Whatever one suits you best, buy it. Don't get me wrong, I like reading what the rags have to say about all the quads. It's good info, and it helped me pick the quad I wanted. It just seems funny to me that there is such a difference in these shootouts. Just my opinion.

Old 02-27-2002, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

hey dustin, i have been around performance cars my entire life and i have been around many dynos, but i have never in my life ever seen or heard of a dyno with 4 rollers for 4 wheel drive vehicles. I will agree with you that removing the front driveshaft will cause the rear wheel horsepower readings to be slightly higher. I do think that your are talking out of your *** with your 4 drum dyno; so to prove that i'm wrong would you mind giving me a make and model number for that dyno? Also you are saying that the differnce between 2wd and 4wd in your chevy is 5 horsepower, on a motor that is putting out a supposed over 500 horse at the rear wheels the difference between 2wd and 4wd would be quite a bit more than 5 horse. Also i'm just curious, I am a ford man and i have owned numerous mustangs, currently an 89 mustang that i just built last summer, dynoed at 380 hp at the rear wheels, what work do you have done to your close to 500 horse ford truck?

Old 02-27-2002, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

Power Test Model 2540 I called and asked them. Where we get our work done they test diesel trucks and automobiles. By the way it can run 10 drums if needed. My ford is equipped with a PAW Blower kit 2 3/4 headers, a mag force clutch, 8.5 to 1 compression on forged rods, ported and polished heads. Oh by the way it's built on a 427. I asked by the way about the low numbers in loss. I was told you still produce the same horsepower except the tranfer case takes away some, just as stated he said that if you want to prove their numbers wrong for $275 they would dyno your Mustang. They stated they just went through rebuild and the unit was still within specifications. I'm sorry you had to get nasty but I did have my facts or I would not have posted the information. I do not mislead but try to inform.

Old 03-03-2002, 02:12 AM
Pro Rider

Interestingly 'modern' 4wd quads will lose considerably more power from the front wheels than a pick up, not from transfer cases but from extra drive line angles of the IFS. the losses depend on design/quality, and how much of an angle the CV joints are working at.

Old 03-04-2002, 05:45 AM
Pro Rider

hey, what does the NAPSTER ride? besides the rags.

Old 03-08-2002, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

I actually picked up the article for the shootout from ATV Magazine in a Polaris dealership. The ironic thing is this: The article in the end picked the Polaris Sportsman 700 as their winner. Yet, the article seemed to give more overall praise to the Kawasaki Prairie 650 which sold me. The magazine really gave preference to IRS, yet the pics show and state that the Kawi will easily slide over rocks due to its light weight and good skid plates. Where I ride in ND/MN there is a lot of prairie lands, grass, cattails; nasty stuff to get caught up in all the complex parts if an IRS. My choice for the clean rear axle of the Prairie 650 makes it more appropriate for my type of use. I also get some riding in the badlands where the hills are steep. Again, ATV mag give the Prairie the nod for raw power, traction, and feeling of safety going up and down. I especiall cannot wait to race my Polaris buddies and leave them in my dust on the trails. (Not slamming Polaris, I almost bought the 700. I really like that machine)

Daryn