Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Which tire is better for my application

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check my signature. These tires are in 26". The combo worked well on a Kodiak. I am hoping it does the same on a P-650. Don't have 'em on yet. The Maxxis Shur Trax are light. This combo (I hope) saves about 16 lbs.

Old 04-08-2002, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

TRX450, I wish you could tell us how much different the rolling distance is on that combo. I know you could not have figured that out very easily on a kodiak if it was full time 4x4. But you can easily on a 650, when you get them on.

Why don't more people don't use spider tracs for hardpack? They are light. They come in 2 26" sizes for the 12" wheel.

Dang these tire manufacturers.

Everybody go to www.maxxis.com and ask them why they don't have more sizes (26" and 27&quot in the shur trax and bighorn.

Old 04-08-2002, 08:32 PM
Range Rover

I just barly put Dirt Devils on mine (26x10x12,26x12x12) so I havn't had much chance to try them out yet. I can power slide like crazy and can actually spin the rear tires easier than with the stockers. I'm not as stable when I get up to about 35, thinking about playing around with my toe in. Looks very tuff. The best part is the 6-ply tire, they're pretty much bullet proof. They've got to weigh about 40 lbs each. The Dunflats feel like bicycle tires off the rims. I kept my stock rims w/no problems. The Bear Claws look good too.

Old 04-08-2002, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

Chainman, my big tires were causing my handlebars to tug left and right (my stockers did it just a little). I thought this meant the same thing as the "Squirrelly" that others described. But, that was not the case.

I checked my toe, and it was toed out .75, and the specs say toed in 0 to .79. I set it for .19 toed in (or as close as I could using a tape measure). The handling improved greatly, I can go faster. Setting the toe is really easy on the quad. Just turn both tie rods the same amount, so the handlebars stay pointed forward.

Old 04-08-2002, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

I have 27" Gators. I can still wheelie and easily outrun a stock HO. These tires grab awesome in the mud and real good in the snow also. They are heavier than stock, but aren't they all? They don't stick out past the fender wells either. I ride it like a sport machine and still hit the big mud holes. I really tested it this weekend. I fell through some ice and the water was up to the air box. I got the front tires on top of the ice and it crawled right out. I think this machine has the power for almost any tire and more. One Sportsman blew a belt, another was pulling it and got stuck. I hooked up to them, put her in Low and pegged it, while still in the mud. Pulled them out no problem. I did this numerous times while pulling that Sportsman that had 27" Vamps. I am very proud of this 650 and the Gator tires.

Old 04-09-2002, 10:26 PM
Range Rover

Nyroc,

That's exactly what it does, tugs left and right. I think it was another post of your that got me thinking about messing with the toe-in. I'll write the specs. down this time.

So how exactly to you measure? Do you measure bottom center then adjust until front center is 0 - .79 less?

Thanks

Old 04-09-2002, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

Get the handlebar as straight as possible.

If it was a car, you could measure between the front of the tires and the back and compare. You have to get the measureing tape in a really good spot, and measure exactly the same way in the front as the back.

For the quad, put two long straight edges against the rims, so they extend forward, you may need helping hands. Measure between them close to the quad, and then again 25" inches in front of that. The difference is the toe.

A cheesy alignment shop has a track guage, which you are sort of doing the same thing with a measuring tape.

A real alignment shop has the good stuff, but I highly doubt they could measure such a small vehicle.

Old 04-10-2002, 12:10 AM
Range Rover

Nyroc,

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I measured from bottom center to front center and it was pretty close to 1/2" differance so probably about 1" toe-in. I'll try backing it out a 1/2" or so and see what that does.

Old 04-10-2002, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider

I forgot to tell ya, I think it won't be accurate if the quad is off the ground. Lifting it may change the tie rod angle and changes the toe. I put weights on mine to push it down a bit, as if I was on it.

But, I realize this is not a nascar machine. Good luck