Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

P650 belt, anyone on their second one yet?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 06:09 PM
GTV
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many miles (average) is the 650 getting per belt with moderate use?

Do any of you guyes have a P650 that will not pull a rideable wheeli in low or high gear on asphalt? The P650 I am refering to has about 1k on the second belt, it isn't squaling like the first belt did, but it is probably starting to slip, what is your opinion?

Seems to me that the belt is inadequate for the torque of the big bad v-twin.

Old 05-13-2002, 06:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

I got 70 miles out of the first belt, and I've got 70 on the second belt. No problems with the second belt so far. Hoping the first one was defective.

Old 05-13-2002, 06:16 PM
Range Rover

I have one of them 650 that won't pull a wheelie very good. I am by no means dissatified with a vehicle that ways 670 lbs that won't pull a wheelie easy. I am just envious of them 650's out there that will. I have 600 miles on my and so far no problems with the belt. I can pull a wheelie after a small rain in grass and the ground is somewhat sticky. I have to be in low. That is the only place I have been able to pull a wheelie.

Old 05-13-2002, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

I have 700 miles on my first belt, but I plan to get 300 more out of it. I just checked it and it had too much deflection (1.5). I took the only shim out, and it still has too much delflection (1.2), but not so bad.

The belt is exactly on it's wear limit 28.8mm, and looks like it is in great shape.

The fact that is is so loose, has made wheelies a little harder to get, and cut down the top speed to 62. I got the belt wet once, but was not stupid about drying it off before going again. This loose belt has been squawking a bit, only in the dusty conditions.

With my performance mods, I can faily easily get wheelies again in high, and go 62mph.

EPI spring kits will have any of your 650'ss wheelieing like fools. I get long wheelies on whoopty doos on dirt too (high gear). I get scary long wheelies on pavement (high gear). I don't have a spring kit, just what it says in my sig, and airbox mods.

After I replace this belt, I will probably wheelie so easy, I may just wheelie the 650 on top of myself. I bet the top speed will be at least 68 mph.

I am going to post pictures soon of two tools I made to help remove the belt, one was free and the other was $4.

Old 05-13-2002, 11:17 PM
Range Rover

Spring kit? EPI? Homemade tools for removing the belt? Please, tell me more!

Old 05-14-2002, 12:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ditto on the new tools. Did my earlier posts help you remove your belt, and possibly inspire the new tools? Just curious. This method is way easier than pulling the primary IMO. My dealer quoted me $49.00 for a primary puller.NOT. I'll bet one of your tools is Y shaped to fit around the center shaft of the secondary. Just a guess. Let me know what you come up with I'll probably make my own pretty quick.

Old 05-14-2002, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider

Belt removal: Using a big screwdriver, pry driven pulley apart and flip belt off. It scrathes, but the belt doesn't ride low enough to hit the scratches. Other peple have mentioned this (I don't like it, and have ordered the pulley puller). That big screwdriver is a substitute for the drive pulely puller, but only if you are just changing belts. when you put the belt back on, you can use a socket wrench to turn the driven puley so it draws the belt around. It is really easy.

Belt adjustment:
-The driven pulley (with the adjusting shims) is removed with an impact wrench, or using the setup I show in my 650 website for torquing it back on. This is a substitute for the puley holder, mentioned in the manual. Works perfect. you pick a socket that fits snug in the driven pulley hole, put a long extension on it, use the same screwdriver that you used to spread the halves to bind between this little socket and the big one (27mm) that you are using to tighten the nut with. The trick here is to hold the long extension with one hand to stabilize it, that way the socket does not twist out and do bad things. See
http://atv.dnsalias.com/atv/prairie6...ir=&pic=31

-I bought a 5/8x12" threaded rod, two 5/8 nuts, and 2 washers. I also got a 2" steel pipe cap, which I drilled a 5/8" hole in the center. Then I cut a pie shaped section out. This works extremely well, and cost $4. This replaces driven pulley compression tool mentioned in the repair manual (You also have to have a circlip remover tool in order to get the pulley apart.) See http://atv.dnsalias.com/atv/prairie6...ir=&pic=30

***I hope that did not bore anybody. My tools worked exceptionally easy. The only exception was prying the pulley and scratching it just a touch. I know it won't ever touch the belt, but I did not like it. Hopefully one of you guys can figure out how to squeeze the belt down into the driven pulley a bit without prying? Maybe squeeze the belt with a channel lock? I dunno. I just bought a puller for $46 including shipping from EPI, so I won't be prying the pulley apart anymore.

Old 05-14-2002, 06:08 AM
Pro Rider

Try taping the end of the screw driver with Electrical tape that may help a little.

Old 05-14-2002, 09:31 AM
Range Rover

I took my belt off last night to inspect it. It's tiny, I have fan belts that are bigger. I had a few snowmobiles in the past and that by no means is even worth 30.00. If they can justify 50.00 for that rubber band a belt for a sled should be worth 400.00. Highway robbery. Oh by the way less than 1000 km and in need of replacement, without any wheelies and no abuse just trail riding. The guys I ride with all have auto atv and not one of them is any where near replacing their belts yet. Kawi what gives?

Old 05-14-2002, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

1100 kms no problems with the belt yet.I'm hard on it too.Wheelies all the time,jabbing at the throttle all the time, hauling heavy loads(Yamahas)and my girlfriend is on the back most of the time too.Oh yeah, I put the heavier tires on at about 100 kliks, so I can't complain about it at all.

The rear brakes get used real hard too, and I haven't adjusted them one iota yet.I really love that part.

Quick Reply: P650 belt, anyone on their second one yet?